5/3-5/4 Mosquito Lagoon

Florida Sportsman

5/3-5/4 Mosquito Lagoon

5/3 - I typically don't keep fish but its not uncommon for me to keep one or two redfish a month so I bought a Dexter Russell V-LO carbon steel fillet knife and got to try it out today, couldn't be happier with it, just an awesome knife. Fished the middle lagoon and put in right at sunrise, about two minutes into paddling I got attacked by yet another manatee (think this one makes 4) usually when they freak out it is just one or two big splashes and they disappear... this one decided to make a big splash then turn around and ram my kayak from the stern pushing my kayak up in the air and the bow into the water, I was able to hang on and lean all my weight back so I didnt flip over - woke me up much better than coffee though. The weather man lied about the winds but that is typical. I was able to find some fish but the wind made it difficult and the reds were pretty spooky. EP baitfish was the only thing I threw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2v10rci.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	30088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4vgthu.jpg 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	30089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14vgvar.jpg 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	30090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x5axhh.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	30091

5/4 - Fished the middle lagoon again and got to the ramp a little late. No wind whatsoever but I started feeling like that may have been a bad thing - the gnats and mosquitos were relentless, I looked down at my white shirt and saw it coated in black and when I was unloading the truck I saw the inside covered in them as well (which is always fun when I get back into the vehicle, nothing like sitting in a microwave that bites you) I fished the same areas but the redfish were just not having it today, saw two tails and a bunch of cruising fish but they could not have been less interested in anything I put in front of them and most of the time even the lightest fly tapping the water sent them swimming at light speed down to titusville. So I gave up on them and fished pot holes and channel ledges for trout and they were much more cooperative caught a ton in the 12-16inch category, pictured are a couple of the bigger ones. chartreuse EP baitfish did the trick.
    Both days there were mullet everywhere and a LOAD of tailing catfish to keep your eyes constantly jumping lol. get out there and do some damage guys!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2z5ku38.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	30092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qxja79.jpg 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	30093

nice fish Jumbo, the summer pattern is happening now, sure hope we get some rain soon

Nice fish on the fly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shouldabeenworkin View Post
    nice fish Jumbo, the summer pattern is happening now, sure hope we get some rain soon
    Yeah me too. It'll definitely help. I meant to look for tarpon one of those days but i never got around to it, hopefully next weekend though I'll take a peak up north. Also the water is pretty low right now (forgot to mention that) seems like it was lower this weekend than last but maybe thats just my imagination.