Yellow Jack??

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Jack??

Yellow Jack??

Caught a filleted a nice size yellow jack. I kept him because I seem to remember some talk of them being good eating. I unintentionally bled the fish, he wouldn't fit in my cooler with out cutting the tail off. When I filleted the fish I was amazed at the quality and weight of the flesh. Muscley fish, a great fight bringing him in on light tackle. Anyhow does anyone have any suggestions for cooking yellow jack up? I got the filets on ice in the fridge till tomarow.

Yellow Jack is almost identical to permit.....a firmer white meat with a very clean flavor. I love it. I cook mine on the grill, after marinating for about 1-2 hours in Good Seasons salad dressing. Be sure to have a very hot fire and let the oil make a flame-up. When it is golden on one side, turn and cook until golden on the other side. When properly cooked, it should still have just the slightest bit of transluscence in the center. Firmer fleshed fish like this can dry out if overcooked.

The leftovers make a great fish salad, like tuna and permit also do. You can also use them in a fish chowder.

Another thing that firm fleshed fish are good for is a fish parmesian. Sautee enough slices of eggplant to cover the fish that you have leftover. Then using your favorite spaghetti sauce, coat the bottom of a baking dish. Place in fillets....cover them with a little more sauce and top with the eggplant slices. Cover with more sauce and top with slices of mozzerella cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese gets nice and bubbly. voila.

Managing Editor
    Yellow jack is also delicious sushi style.

However, I wouldn't eat any jack over ten pounds from anywhere on the risk of ciguetara.

Also, I've usually taken to first freezing fish I'm going to eat uncooked.

Wow very interesting. Earlier today I got some Kona Coast Teriyaki sauces. I got some nice Asian noodles, and some fresh stirfry veggies. Thought I'd marinate the fish a couple hours then grill them up, then toss them in with the noodles and vegies, and pour on some more teriyaki. I tryed a bit of the fish raw yesterday, definately sushi quality. I doubt the fish was over 10lbs. I had read that there was a risk of ciguetara associated with the fish.
    All and all they seem like a marvelous fish, I'd love to catch more, but it seems that they would be a dificult fish to target. Just about the best fight I've ever had for a fish that size too!

This is just me, but I would go easy on the terryaki at first. Very easy to overpower the flavor of all the fish I mentioned above. What I would first do, is season your vegetables with the terryaki to your taste...THEN toss in the fish. Try it and then add more terryaki if it suited you.

I know what you mean about yellow jacks. I would more than gladly trade their population with that of the crevalle. Sorry to say this, but I don't see releasing one for as long as I live and eat fish. BTW, bar jack are also excellent, but they rarely get more than 2-3 pounds.

You could try to take the fish fillets and cook them in a coconut milk with lemongrass and curry. If you have it around, add some shrimp too and let it cook down. I usually add a little bit of heavy cream and a thickening agent of your choice and then add some rice noodles. It is a very good take on a thai styled fish. I have never done it with jack or permit but I have used hogfish and sheephead.

Awe man, I have shrimp, frozen though. Next time. I saw a yellow jack curry on the net. I love coconut tai currys, next time. I will go easy on the terriyaki. Bar jack look very similar to yellow jack. Gona throw it on the grill right now.
    THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

Well it worked out great, family liked it too. Next yellow jack I bring back I'm definately doing sushi

Managing Editor
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowjack_monica web.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	29239

In case anyone hasn't seen a yellowjack, here's one sent into us at the magazine and used in the December issue.

Off Key West.

Tampa, Little Gasparilla Island, Chassahowitzka
    Nice looking... jack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast