Garmin 441

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin 441

Garmin 441

Anyone have or had any experience with the Garmin 441 chartplotter?My eyes are growing dim and I need to get something better than my old handheld.

I have the 541S, the "S" means it is also a depth finder, and it works as a GPS perfectly. Mine does have the 5 inch screen, versus the 4 for the 441, but the pre-loaded maps are great for our area. The nice thing with the pre-loaded maps is you don't need to buy a map card. I think, as a GPS, they are as good as anything on the market.

Now that being said I'm not a big fan of how the depth finder works. I had a lot of trouble with mine, all corrected by Garmin, but it still doesn't come back to reading depths after losing it at extreme shallow or full throttle. I have to turn it off and then back on. I've had two of the 541's and other than the depth issue they've been great units.

Bill
    Last edited by Billy; 04-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I have the 541S, the "S" means it is also a depth finder, and it works as a GPS perfectly. Mine does have the 5 inch screen, versus the 4 for the 441, but the pre-loaded maps are great for our area. The nice thing with the pre-loaded maps is you don't need to buy a map card. I think, as a GPS, they are as good as anything on the market.

Now that being said I'm not a big fan of how the depth finder works. I had a lot of trouble with mine, all corrected by Garmin, but it still doesn't come back to reading depths after losing it at extreme shallow or full throttle. I have to turn it off and then back on. I've had two of the 541's and other than the depth issue they've been great units.

Bill

I have the exact same unit, and second everything that was said here, even have the same sounder issues. Pair it with the g2 card and home port software.

Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

What's the main difference between the 531s and the 541s, I was thinking it had something to do with the preloaded maps? I was also thinking about the G2 vision card because they have a deal that you get 200 off the price of the card and if I was to pair it with the cheaper 531s it would be the same price as the 541s. What do you guys think Billy and Chip?

There's a few threads on these garmin units in the electronics forum here, I posted in a few of them as well, if you want to check em out.

Yes, the difference is the preloaded charts, the 531 is inland/lakes (I believe), the 541 is coastal areas. I've hardly used my 541s without the g2 card in the unit, but I can tell you the time I left the card in my laptop, I missed it. The fishing charts are handy, and the auto-guidance is really cool. People have told me that you can take the sounder and mount it in a thru-hull, even though it's not a thru-hull sounder, but you end up losing the accurate water temperatures, which I'm not willing to give up. VUS012R is the Garmin part number for Tampa to New Orleans.

I got the g2 bluechart card for almost free using a rebate at the time. A little warning the rebate took way longer than the 10 weeks promised, and I'm certain I would have never gotten it had I not stayed on top of it and kept calling for a status once the time-frame was up, once I told them (outsourced rebate company) I was calling Garmin to resolve it, they sent the check out.

The Garmin is a great unit, in my opinion, and I'll likely stick with Garmin for a future product once this one gives out. BTW, I couldn't imagine a 4" version of it (the 441), the 541 is just large enough to not strain my eyes while underway- I wouldn't advise doing the 441, as the 5" screen is wayyy worth it.

A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

I have the 441s and also had the same depth problem. I recently bought another boat and upgraded the transducer to the bigger model. Once it's mounted I hope it fixes the problem. What exactly is the g2 vision card for? What does it do?
    2012 SeaHunt Ultra
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by tpinta View Post
    I have the 441s and also had the same depth problem. I recently bought another boat and upgraded the transducer to the bigger model. Once it's mounted I hope it fixes the problem. What exactly is the g2 vision card for? What does it do?

http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/bluechart

I personally don't feel the G2 card is necessary. I borrowed my neighbors card and it's okay but the pre-loaded maps with the 541 work fine. As "T" has mentioned though it's a nice option if you were able to get it as a rebate feature. It's about three bills other wise.

Also as mentioned the 531 doesn't have the coastal maps loaded, the 441 does but it has a smaller screen.

For the money, the 541S, seems to be the best deal. Look at Amazon for the best price as often they have it cheaper than any other place. And do a comparison at the Garmin site. Keep in mind you want the coastal model and not the lake model which is a different model number.

And I'm on my fourth transducer, Garmin sent them for free, and I see no solution for their problem with the depth finder working properly. They are a GPS company and not a depth finder company.
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Thanks for the info, I have a very good depht sounder with a thru the hull transponder, can I get the chartp[otter without the depht finder' PD

In the fine print, some of the Garmin rebates specifically exclude amazon.com as an eligible reseller, be aware of that if you do choose to buy there-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast