Need a good smoked wing recipe

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a good smoked wing recipe

Having a get together for some old class mates that always get together about every three months. We rotate having the party at each others houses, and this time around its my turn again.

I will be using my L BGE.
    Looking at around 12 adults and a pile of kids.
    I will be doing 2 butts overnight Friday night on the egg. They should be done and off by 10AM and will be wrapped and coolered till chow time
    Everyone is meeting up around 1, start eating/drinking by 3(drinking will probably come sooner).

Will cook the wings any time after the butts are done.

Burgers and dogs will be going on last right before we eat.

So I was thinking of a dry rub on wings, let smoke a couple hours, finish on gas grill to crisp up . Wondering if I should call them done at that point, or if I should do a sauce to toss them in(like done at Hooters/Beef's, etc)

So I am looking for:
    Dry rub ideas...
    Tossing sauce ideas....
    Dipping sauce ideas(something different than traditional wing sauce and bleu cheese), although those are options also...

Thanks

I don't do too much fancy with wings. I use Memphis Rub most of the time:

2 tablespoons paprika (Spanish pimenton is excellent)
    1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Another version

2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 tablespoons black pepper
    1 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons cumin powder
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 to 4 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Since I use the GOSM, I usually get them fairly done, then transfer them to the Gas Grill to crisp them up. I have several hot sauces, but when company is coming over, let those people pick their poison. My fav is Cholula. Another rub I will use at times is the commercial Montreal Chicken Rub. Nice citrusie flavor. We don't do any dips for wings.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

I use a Cajun style rub and cook indirect on my BGE at 400 until crispy. It saves the gas grill step because I don't own one! I then use a variety of hot sauces for myself. My wife doesn't like spicy food and prefers hers to go into a skillet of melted butter and about 1500 cloves (or so it seems) of chopped garlic. They get tossed around in that for a few minutes prior to serving. Sometimes (in self defense) I'll put all of them in the garlic and then my share get the hot sauce dip after.

If you want to add a little twist to the smoke wings throw them in the fryer for a few minutes after you take them off the grill and it will get them a little more crispy but they still have the smoke flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedge View Post
    I use a Cajun style rub and cook indirect on my BGE at 400 until crispy. It saves the gas grill step because I don't own one! I then use a variety of hot sauces for myself. My wife doesn't like spicy food and prefers hers to go into a skillet of melted butter and about 1500 cloves (or so it seems) of chopped garlic. They get tossed around in that for a few minutes prior to serving. Sometimes (in self defense) I'll put all of them in the garlic and then my share get the hot sauce dip after.
    I actually found with my new burner set up in the GOSM, I can now maintain a higher heat and finish them in the smoker. The wife wants her chicken DONE, no 165 for her. More like 180

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Use whatever rub and sauce you like but wrap the wings in bacon… yep you heard that right. Thin cut, low sodium, lean bacon wrapped around a drummy (save the other cut for the kids) lightly (watch the salt) seasoned with your rub. Cook on your egg indirect at 350* or so until bacon is cooked and crisp. Internal temp can go really high… like approaching 200* Sauce the last 10 minutes or so (I like Blues Hog for this). If you do it right it looks like a giant saucy wing… you hardly even tell there is bacon there but the tast is really good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I don't do too much fancy with wings. I use Memphis Rub most of the time:

2 tablespoons paprika (Spanish pimenton is excellent)
    1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Another version

2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 tablespoons black pepper
    1 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons cumin powder
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    3 to 4 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Since I use the GOSM, I usually get them fairly done, then transfer them to the Gas Grill to crisp them up. I have several hot sauces, but when company is coming over, let those people pick their poison. My fav is Cholula. Another rub I will use at times is the commercial Montreal Chicken Rub. Nice citrusie flavor. We don't do any dips for wings.
    I gave this a try this weekend and they were fantastic!.......thanks for sharing.

I usually rotate between sauce and dry rub (similar to Flash's). For the sauce, I mix half bbq sauce (usually Sweet Baby Ray's) and half buffalo wing sauce. You get the thickness of the bbq sauce and the heat of the buffalo sauce. Fantastic!

best thing to put on wings is salt and pepper only

Google "scarbelly wings"

1:1 ratio of franks red hot buffalo sauce and Creole butter injected into the wings, then smoke as normal. Stupid good!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cajun-Injector-Creole-Butter-Injectable-Marinade-with-Injector.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	137641
    FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>----->

2013 Hobie Outback

www.Extremekayakfishing.com

2013 Florida Sportsman College Football Bowl Pick 'em challenge CHAMPION!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast