Yamaha 150 four stroke owners take notice

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Banned

Yamaha 150 four stroke owners take notice

there is a major failure issue with the harmonic balancer on these in line four strokes. My buddies shop has done well over a hundred but yamaha is not making it a recall issue, dont know why. If you own one get it to your dealer and tell them you noticed a high pitch whine in the motor, the nylon gears are failing. My motor is a 2005 with only 81 hrs but they failed to warranty it, they know there is an issue so I think I will contact the rep with my complaint.

My guess is that no engine manufacturer will honor or warranty a problem on a 7 year old engine. It will be interesting to see . . . . . . . . . . .

Banned
    The problem goes back to motors built before that time, yammie has an ISSUE with this balancer and they know it. They also know there are more of these out there than any other model 150 so its been hush hush. I was in the outboard repair business for 17 plus yrs certified by merc,omc and yammie. There are warranties called policie where the customer eats the labor and the man eats the parts. OMC was very good about it if I assured them the unit was well maintained and a loyal customer.

I gotta agree with idle, you expect a nearly 8 year motor to still be under warranty??? Also what the name of your buddies shop that has done "over 100"? Seems like a reach...

I owned a F150 and it was BULLETPROOF, without a doubt the most trouble free motor in ever! There's a reason it's the world's #1 selling motor. It's my understanding it outsells #2 motor by twice!

Shop here has a stack of 20 or so waiting for the next one. I asked him why so many... You guessed it.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "

tater, what kind of motor(s) you own by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTater View Post
    Shop here has a stack of 20 or so waiting for the next one. I asked him why so many... You guessed it.

Banned
    Uhhhhhhhhhh, not making this up, there is a issue here dont care how many 150,s you have owned. And regardless of years old, the hrs are waht really matters now right. Ever hear of 10 yrs or a 150000miles? Anyway do what ya want with this info, ya keep running it you may find yourself 50 miles from the ramp broke down.

Well now that I know this I am afraid to use my boat again. Anyone got an old Mercury 150 or maybe a carbed Johnson they want to trade straight up for my Yamaha F150 with 200 hours?

Banned
    Got pictures of the failed part but why post them, you can let me know when ya break down 30 miles from the ramp .

I had the same thing. 500 hrs on a 2005 F150. $500 repair. San Carlos Marine. No big deal. Had I taken it in several years ago when I first heard the "whine" it would have been warrantied. Live and learn. Supposedly after 2005, the balancers are an alloy not plastic. SCM has only had one with a catastrophic failure. All 2004 and 2005 motors (F150) will need them replaced.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast