Englewood Tarpon?

Florida Sportsman

Englewood Tarpon?

Taking a trip down to Stump Pass. Are there enough tarpon there yet to justify targeting them, or should I go with the original plan of heading offshore for some grouper? I live in Sarasota, so I can make the poons later if they aren't here yet.
    Optimism is the greatest trait a fisherman can possess.

Id go offshore, i was down there a week and a half ago in search of them and did not find the numbers of fish i was looking for.

The forecast isn't looking too great for offshore for this weekend. However, my father got out 5 miles outside of Boca Grande pass on Tuesday and found Permit in large numbers on the reefs. He caught 3 at 20lbs on shrimp, didn't bring crabs.

So maybe you could try bouncing around on the near offshore reefs for a go at Permit and Kingfish instead? Just a thought...

I would check the beach after this new moon if the wind cooperates. You'll never know for sure unless you look.

Yeah I saw the forecast yesterday. Not pretty. I've been doing a bunch of nearshore stuff, hopefully the winds can lay down a bit for sunday. The tarpon, grouper, and kingfish bite is always hot after a good storm. Haven't targeted permit for a while, are you fishing for them mid-depth, on bottom, or just freelining baits?
    Optimism is the greatest trait a fisherman can possess.