Offshore Hillsboro

Florida Sportsman

Offshore Hillsboro

After spending a fantastic day on the boat Sunday in Lake Boca, I got the itch to actually go out and fish for a change. Work and life has a way of getting in the way and I enjoy just getting away by myself for a quick outing every once and a while. My plan was to get out early, troll the edge from Hillsboro to Boca looking for a wahoo, then head offshore for some dolphin.

I cleared the inlet at 730, ran out to 150' and put the auto pilot on. I was setting the 2nd line, a blue/white islander hoo, let it out about 30' to put it in the rigger and the line was ripped out of my hand. Hadn't made it to 175' yet and I figured I had a bonita, that's ok, needed some fresh cut bait anyway. Got it up to the boat and surprise, stripes! In the boat and the first goal was accomplished in about 2 minutes.

Headed north staying between 200-350, got two small blackfins then the 6/0 shotgun went down hard in 300'. It's a pretty beefy setup with braid and it was screaming. After about 100yards, lots of hard head shakes then slack. Pulled hook, no doubt what it was. Turned around at Boca inlet and headed south again. I had the shotgun rod in the tower rod holder, decided to move it up to the tower, as I was climbing the ladder with the rod in my hand, it almost was ripped out of my grip. 350' was the depth and a smaller hoo was welcomed into the transom door.

It's about 9am, two for 3 on the wahoo and a couple of perfect sushi tuna's. I should have headed home but I figured that I would look for some dolphin and maybe get a double slam. Spent a few hours fishing some incredible weed lines with loads of flyers out to 800', didn't get a bite. Saw a few schoolies swimming from the tower but they weren't interested. All things considered, a great day on the water with a few surprises.

awesome! we had a great day of dolphin fish to your south. I'd prob trade them for some wahoo steaks!

That's an awesome day right there!!! Nice hoo's Doug!!!

flippin sweet
    Team Geeked Up
    (aka floffshore on THT)

nice work doug!

Great day. I was going out but realized I was sick and went to the Doc. Should have went anyway.
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point

Two Hoo's solo!
    On top too!
    Congrats Doug, that's AWESOME!
    I can do all things through Christ.

hell yeah

Nice work! You get the hoos without wire?