Sarasota Near Offshore Report 4/11/12

Florida Sportsman

Sarasota Near Offshore Report 4/11/12

Went out to the Silvertooth Reef last night around 9 p.m. Weather was less than ideal but I decided to give it a try knowing that it would be a very short trip.

Anchored up on a decent piece of structure and dropped chum in the water. Using 1/8 oz jighead, 20lb flouro leader, I tried cut sardines and shrimp. Shrimp produced more bites. Caught a mix of grunts, short red grouper, mangrove snapper, ladyfish, and a jack. My buddy caught an unknown species to me, about 10", had a tail that looked liked a cusk (dark body color). Who knows??

After about an hour on anchor, the winds were picking up and I decided it was time to head home. One last drop and my jig was pounded by a fat mangrove snapper, got him in the boat and measured at 20". A very nice catch so close to shore IMHO. With 3 mangroves in the box, I decided it was time to leave. I was relieved to get my anchor back with little effort and I quickly set a course for New Pass.

As I got into the pass, I was flagged down by two guys in a 17' Larson that had broken down, anchored up in the shallows near Lido Beach. I asked if they needed assistance and they asked if I could tow them to City Island. It was on my way to Marine Max (where I keep my boat) so I grabbed their anchor line and dragged them along.

Overall, a good little trip. Weather made things difficult, but I did learn that good sized mangroves hang out at the Silvertooth, and will definately return on the full moon for another go.

20" mango is a hog in my book! Good job on the reef, Silvertooth is a good spot, especially for kids. You'll always catch something.
    Optimism is the greatest trait a fisherman can possess.

Thanks bigfinn35! It suprised me too, thought I had another red grouper until I got it boatside!!! It will be dinner tonight!

Nice trip and thank you for helping out fellow boaters. Good stuff!

Good job
    Do You Hunt Or Fish & Own An iPhone? http://www.TrophyRoomApp.com