We need to work on congress

Florida Sportsman

We need to work on congress

Below is a letter:

It ask that congress to force NMFS to get back to the business of performing stock assessments and stop trying to commodity our fisheries.

I also believe someone has a screen print of EDF's claim to be the crafters of the RMSA, this could be helpful as an attachment to this letter.

I am also asking that these letters be physically mailed or faxed....not emailed....

Send it to your congressmen and state senators and I will find the names of the committee members that should get this....

This needs to be an all out blitz...so post it on Face book...tweet about it, call your mom any body who will take the time to do this....

We all are talking about data....but in reality until timely stock assessment are back....our data means nothing...have good sales data without proper inventory data is a recipe for disaster.

If you find any grammar issues or poor context please make suggestions...I want the letter to be less than 2 pages, but I want it to make sense before we start sending it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honorable [Insert Name Here]
    [Address]
    [City]. [ST] [Zip]

[Your Name]
    [Address]
    [City]. [ST] [Zip]
    [Contact Phone]

[Date]

Dear Honorable [Insert Name];

I am writing you today to express my concern regarding the management of our nation’s marine fisheries and the social and economic damage being done to our fishing communities. Fishermen; both commercial and recreational are a hardy bunch. Able to survive storms, red tides and bad economic times, but; what we cannot survive is bad management by regulators and draconian rule making based on inadequate, outdated and/or nonexistent data.

The National Marine Fishery Service (NMFS) has taken a path that is not strengthening our fisheries, but weakening our fishermen. The commoditization of our commercial fisheries has destroyed small fishing operators and their families. The stories are many of lost businesses, divorce and even suicide.

The 2006 Re-authorization of the Magnuson/Stevens Act (R-MSA) was a hijacking by overzealous non-governmental organizations (NGO) to push through an anti-fishing agenda, an agenda that NMFS was all too willing to take up. The Environmental Defense Fund even bragged about how they were instrumental in crafting this legislation on their website soon after the passage of the R-MSA, until they realized that making this claim also revealed their illegal influence by a 501(c3) organization in the legislative process.

NMFS has turned their back on their charter of managing our nation’s fisheries and taken up the mission of managing the nation’s fishermen. A task I will admit is seemingly much easier, but is having tremendous negative impacts on our nation and our fishing communities.

The last Red Snapper stock assessment in the Gulf of Mexico is going on a decade old, yet is being used to shorten seasons; to the point that this year we will get 40 days; the shortest of any season, even though out allowable catch was increased. I am still scratching my head over that one.

It is time that NMFS be re-tasked to their original intent; which is the management of fisheries and fisheries data. We ask this congress to craft legislation, forcing NMFS to make no rules regarding a fishery without a recent stock assessment (within the last 3 years).

We also ask that congress pass a law that forbids the study or implementation of any limited access or catch share regimen in any recreational fisheries and that management tools for all recreation fisheries must revolve around size and bag limits and seasonal closures.

Lastly we ask that NMFS must stop the use of any funds either allocated or diverted used to study any type of Sector Seperation of the private and for hire recreational fishermen, or limited access and catch share programs. In addition NMFS diverted approximately $54 million from data collection to study catch shares, we ask that you compel NMFS to return that money back to its appropriated purpose, which was data collection.

In closing; our nation’s fisheries are a vital source of economic activity, recreation and part of our social fabric, too vital to be allowed to be hijacked by agenda driven NGO(s), with no thought for the people and communities affected by their overzealous attempt to end fishing in this country.

Proper fishery management is possible; if NMFS will take seriously the congressional mandate to improve recreational fishery data and stock assessments. The collection of data from fishermen, while important is only a piece of the puzzle. NMFS has been woefully inadequate with producing timely and accurate stock assessments. How can NMFS manage a fishery, without data to determine what condition a stock is in?

We would ask that congress force NMFS to suspend all regulation making activity and focus on creating stock assessments across all species that are managed by NMFS, in addition we would ask for legislation that would prevent rule making based on any stock assessment older than 3 years. Only until NMFS has some measure of any species abundance, can they then make any judgment as to the health of a fishery or a need for its management

Respectfully

[Your Signature]

[Your Name]
    [Address]
    [City]. [ST] [Zip]
    [Contact Phone]
    Last edited by CaptBobBryant; 04-12-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Banned
    Thats great! I am printing it out now. Rep. Atkins is a customer of mine and I am sending it to her as well. I hope people take advantage of the time and work you have put into this! I am so tired of hearing the complaints and when you ask what they are doing about it you can hear crickets!

Quote Originally Posted by ChumSlick View Post
    Thats great! I am printing it out now. Rep. Atkins is a customer of mine and I am sending it to her as well. I hope people take advantage of the time and work you have put into this! I am so tired of hearing the complaints and when you ask what they are doing about it you can hear crickets!
    I ask that you give it a day or so...let some of the wordsmiths around here have a crack at it and then we should time this to start on a specific day and time...Maybe tax day 4/17

Banned
    That sounds good. Would you mind if I saved this and get it to some of my friends and fisherman here on the Island, many which are charter capt.? I think tax day would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by ChumSlick View Post
    That sounds good. Would you mind if I saved this and get it to some of my friends and fisherman here on the Island, many which are charter capt.? I think tax day would be great.
    Not at all. That is its purpose...share and create an out pouring from the user group

Let me know when we should send it out...Ill have a few of us in my office up in Ga who grew up in Fla and vacation there send it out.

Just a note - the $54 million was not taken entirely from just cooperative research - just a portion came from research.

Emphasis needs to be placed on looking at the probably illegal undue influence that EDF exerted on the fisheries management process when they hijacked the MSA in 2006 and implemented THEIR agenda into LAW. Lubchenco has acknowledged that the time frames within the MSA have no scientific basis but adamantly refuses to extend those time frames. The Inspector General is currently reviewing EDF's involvement and perhaps this is a good time to prod that investigation. As you noted, EDF used to boast about their "oceans Team was instrumental in CRAFTING AND IMPLEMENTING the changes to the 2006 MSA which introduced a market based fisheries management system (Catch Shares)", but have since stricken any mention that from all of their websites after I started pointing it out. I did save a screen shot (enclosed) that shows what it used to say, but if you search their sites now, you will find no trace. Why? Perhaps they realized that acknowledging their possibly illegal actions was not so good for them, eh?

All the best,
    Capt. Thomas J. Hilton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails edf_oceans_team.jpg  

What, NMFS do actual research? Come on, they do that these days? (yes, insert sarcastic tone)

Thanks for the screen shot Tom..I knew you had it...

I will work an image of it into the word doc.....

I will make it available for download to all form my ftp...

I hope people take advantage of the time and work you have put into this!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrippleTailIV View Post
    What, NMFS do actual research? Come on, they do that these days? (yes, insert sarcastic tone)