Live Bait in West Bay?

Florida Sportsman

Live Bait in West Bay?

Will finally get to go this weekend for the first time this spring. I was was just checking to see if the live bait has shown up near the west bay bridge or near the mouth of Burnt Mill? Looking forward to some early morning topwater action then maybe later some live bait in the deeper water. The replies to this would help me decide where I will be launching.

Fished out of Burnt Mill the 16th mar, didn't see many bait fish, few out on the flat. Ain't been to the bridge lately. They are useually there behind the restaurant though. Good luck.
    Life is a lot simpler when you plow around the stump.

I think some bait stayed around all year... so we should have some big ones this spring. I have personally seen some bait over in East Bay, but it's not staying up top full time. That being said, netting / finding them might be a bit tricky. My bet is there is currently bait in their normal areas, but they be holding deep. This little cool spell won't help that any.

http://www.halfhitch.com/fishing-inf...fishing-report

Menhaden can be found making their telltale swirls around the bay and Intra coastal waters, and Pilchards are starting to show up in Grand Lagoon, behind Shell Island and around Redfish Point. These are great baits and fairly easy to catch.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Thanks for the info..... Yeh I imagine the cool snap will have the bait deep, I probably will not even waste much time looking for them. I love topwater anyway.

Yeah, I betcha the top water stuff is on fire rigt now pretty much all day. Looks like a pretty stiff breeze ESE on Sat and SSE on Sunday, though. Better find you some protected water...
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Luckily I am off this Friday and the winds are better than Saturday. Was sure wanting to go both days now I am second guessing Saturday.

Frickin beautiful this friday morning. The wind beat me up last Sat. Arrgh!

Friday was a great day to be on the water. Although the tides were not good we did manage to put 3 specks on ice betweet 16 and 18 inches. The action was halted between 9:30 and 1:00. The wind and water was very calm till then. After 1 I was able to do some drifting and the action picked up we steadily caught 14 inchers from 1:30 till 3:00. We had a lot stacked against us Friday with the cool nights which cooled the water down, bad tides, and lack of wind, plus could not find any good live bait to throw on. Still better than being at work!