I stayed in Long Key last year and plan on the same this year. Coming back the 3rd week of June with my wife and 14 yr old son. Last yr we guided out of Bud and Mary's. Thought if I start now, I could get all my questions answer. We are dragging our 17' poling flats boat from North of Houston Texas. "3000+ mile round trip" It drafts 5" will run on plain in 3" with no prop below the bottom of boat.
1. I take it, I can go to Bud and Mary's for bait. Is there other places to get live bait near Long Key?
2. When we were running from Bud and Mary's. I notice we past some channel markings about 5 foot tall. They were white poles and had small marker colors at top pointing towards the channel. My guide said you must stay on plain but slow down while in these channel's. I have a Navionics P+ on order for Florida Bay. Will these be on the mapping card or is there a paper style map showing these area's. I trully do not wanna mess up a reef or get a ticket.
3. My son is dying to catch a tarpon. He hand feed some at Bud and Marys with our guides help. I heard Long Key bridge is good for that. I plan on fishing artie's for reds and snook but would live be better for this and any laws I should know?
4. Boat ramps near Islamorada encase we need to trailer closer up before launching?
5. Places to eat. I found Outback Steakhouse, and the Hungry Tarpon. There's not much around Long Key. Driving up to Burger King towards Key largo and giving up to eat there was nasty.
More questions to come. Thank you for any info or help. Anyone coming to the Texas coast, I would be more then happy to return the favor on info. I'm so excited about going back to the Keys.