the Hookers were tight the past few days.

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the Hookers were tight the past few days.

Capt. Ken, Don, Charley, and I went fishing yesterday for some swords with Kens HOOKERS. we left out of port everglades around 8 am and on our way we noticed a very large log floating in the water half submerged. we talked Kenny into stopping to catch a dolphin. we were only able to catch 1 small 6 pounder. we moved off shore made our drops. we got a few bites early but no fish. we moved around and finally in the late afternoon we were tight. we landed the fish, it was a 25 pound sickle pomfret. (NICE). we made another drift on the same line 00/48.5 and we were tight with a large fish. Don stayed on the rod and fought the fish for nearly 30 min to pull the hook. we set back up on the same line 00/48.5 and we were tight again on a smaller fish. this fish was a 50 inch sword. we again set back up on the same line and tight again immediately. we pulled on this fish for 15 min an I lost it. it was getting late and we wanted another fish, we figured we had time for one more drift. we decided to drop once again on the same line for a last shot. this time we got a small bite right at the beginning and nothing after that. we pulled the rigs up and we were tight with a fish. this time the rod feels funny again. the fish came right to the boat. we get a look and its a 27 lb oil fish (nice). i know people give these fish a bad name so i personally decided to give it a try. i took some of the fish to a friends sushi shop that night for him to prepare it. no kidding i ate about 1 pound of that fish raw and it was great. i found no issues at all the next day. so i don't know?????? it was good though and i will eat it again. any way the day was good, we caught a great catch in my eyes.

thanks for reading

also here is the link to the video that i couldn't get working last week. enjoy!

http://youtu.be/YKcQKzf2SCY

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   photo.jpg  
    The Ultimate Fishing Reel. www.hookerelectric.com

Interesting pics....so the first one is the oilfish and the second is what? (Looks like some bizzaro permit)

Never seen either fish, but that second fish sure looks pissed off. Good job on the exotic catch.

The sickle pomfrets are my favorite fish to eat. Too bad I've only caught one. The meat is a light pink, very dense and smooth. It becomes very flakey when cooked and is delicious with a soy glaze.

i totally agree. at first when i filleted it, i was thinking the meat was tough as nails. i was told the fish was awesome but didn't realize how good it actually was unit we cooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalPoint View Post
    The sickle pomfrets are my favorite fish to eat. Too bad I've only caught one. The meat is a light pink, very dense and smooth. It becomes very flakey when cooked and is delicious with a soy glaze.

Quote Originally Posted by hookerelectric View Post
    any way the day was good, we caught a great catch in my eyes.

you got the Grand Slam.. hell of a day!

Tom... Not everyone gets the "explosive" effects just from consuming Oilfish or Escolar (both called white tuna at sushi restaurants). No matter how fortified your digestive system is, eat too much and you'll likely be on the can for a while. Humans can't digest the wax ester content present in the flesh of those fish. It's gotta pass. The violence of how it passes is the factor which determines how much an individual can consume. You're a lucky one! ...because both escolar and oilfish are delicious! It's hard to stay under the 8oz recommendation. hahaha

Anyways... Congrats on a diverse day of deep-dropping. As much as I've been sending baits deep, I've yet to catch a pomfret, oilfish, or escolar. The oddest creature I've dragged up from 1700 was a longnose lancetfish... not good on the plate.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

Very cool fish! I had some white tuna at the sushi bar the other day, and it was good.
    I'd love to try the pomfret!
    If the fish aren't bitin', I jump in and shoot them....
    www.Gilmore-Chiro.com
    Fort Pierce's Hometown Chiropractors' ! Dr. Gilmore & Dr. Schoch....We've got your back !

i always was told they can be brutal, i was lucky i guess. they are very tasty indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Tom... Not everyone gets the "explosive" effects just from consuming Oilfish or Escolar (both called white tuna at sushi restaurants). No matter how fortified your digestive system is, eat too much and you'll likely be on the can for a while. Humans can't digest the wax ester content present in the flesh of those fish. It's gotta pass. The violence of how it passes is the factor which determines how much an individual can consume. You're a lucky one! ...because both escolar and oilfish are delicious! It's hard to stay under the 8oz recommendation. hahaha

Anyways... Congrats on a diverse day of deep-dropping. As much as I've been sending baits deep, I've yet to catch a pomfret, oilfish, or escolar. The oddest creature I've dragged up from 1700 was a longnose lancetfish... not good on the plate.

Hookers and tight is an oxy-moron!
    WTG on variety. I like the Pomfret, and agree w UB. IE you have a solid stomach !
    USCG Licensed Captain
    Offshore & Bahamas Fishing Guide for Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.
    Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    e-money99@live.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast