Thinking about picking up a GoPro

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member CrstyCptSWitherspoon's Avatar

Thinking about picking up a GoPro

Think my camera today took a poop when I put it a few inches under the water to shoot a school of triggerfish attacking my bait. So much for 15 feet maximum depth. Anyway, been planning to upgrade to a camera that can actually mount and shoot good videos and the Hero2 'seems' like the best option. Anyone have any opinions on good waterproof cameras including what mounts you use? Would be nice to have something that fits in a scotty mount.

Also, bonita may not be edible but man I'm sore after fighting a few of those today on the jig.

Niagara Falls, Canada and Madeira Beach, Fla
    I have a Kodak PlaySport ZX3 I think its called. They are really cheap ($85) and take a pretty decent video. I looked at the GoPro but couldn't stomach the price.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

I have the hero2 and the only thing I don't like about it is the still image quality is not so great. There's also about a second delay from when you press the shutter button to when the picture is actually taken. I also have a fujifilm xp10 which has done well for the past year the picture and video quality are great on it as well and it was only $150. It has gotten bad reviews though on getting water inside of it in shallow water.

Scotty has a great camera mount that will fit a GoPro or any camera.

Just picked up a Hero 2 the other day. If you are interested, sports authority sells them and my wife found a 25% off friends/family coupon. not really supposed to use it on the gopro, but they get so interested in trying to upsell you the warranty plan that they don't look at the coupon.

I just fabbed up a mount last night. Haven't had a chance to try it out but hopefully I can tomorrow after work. Its a PVC mount, but seems like it should work fine. I'll post some video and pics of the mount tomorrow.

I don't see the problem at all with the still images, they look great.

Senior Member CrstyCptSWitherspoon's Avatar
    Yea about the still images, can't you just take a frame from video that you shot? The quality shouldn't be so bad so long as you sit still for a few seconds. I just picked up a yakattack panfish mount for my yak. 28" high so it'll be a decent over the shoulder-ish shot depending how I mount it. Problem is I kinda want a second camera to mount in the front too. Not too keen on dropping another $300 on a gopro again.

Charlotte harbor, Myaka River, Peace River, Pine Island and plan on lots of travel.
    Dogman how are the still pics. Want a camarra but $300 for the Hero could buy a nice rod and reel.

Can't speak for others but this is a quick grab with the stock settings and no post processing (and the first image out of my new goPro). The dynamic range in the images is VERY good. This was pretty low light so I'm very pleased with the capabilities of the camera. Full sun images are even better. This is a regular photo, not a video still. Excuse the finger, I didn't realize just how wide the lens is on this thing

Niagara Falls, Canada and Madeira Beach, Fla
    It has a 5MP sensor where the gopro has an 11MP. I find the pictures to be quite good. I'll see if I can find one that I've taken.

Here is one my wife took while she was away with my girls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0092.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	27919
    Last edited by Dogman; 04-14-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: picture added
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

There is usually one or two GoPro's for sale on this site http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-...eous-items-35/

Just looked - here's one http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-...tion-sale.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast