Tarpon flies

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Tarpon flies

Tarpon flies

Started tying flies for tarpon season and wanted to know what patterns usually work good for around Port Canaveral area. Also going to Homosassa in June so anyone with suggested patterns would be appreciated. Pics and recipes would be awesome!!!

Beach tarpon in our area like relatively large flies, but beyond that they're pretty opportunistic. Anything resembling a 5-6" baitfish of any kind will get crushed in short order. You'll still have days where they throw their tails up in disgust at your offerings, but for the most part when they're on the beach they stay happy.

Nice flies. Do you usually use 3/0 and bigger for those flies? I've been using 2/0 Mustad C68SZ hooks but am still chasing my first big tarpon on fly so I'm not sure how those hooks would fair on 100+ tarpon.

I have had my best luck with darker colors in Homosassa. Are you fishing a guide, most of them over there have their preference, and I would listen them. If you are doing the trip on your own watch for rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyslinger View Post
    Nice flies. Do you usually use 3/0 and bigger for those flies? I've been using 2/0 Mustad C68SZ hooks but am still chasing my first big tarpon on fly so I'm not sure how those hooks would fair on 100+ tarpon.

Alot of guys use #2's and 1/0's for very large fish, you'll do fine with those.

If your fishing Homosassa you should use 3/0 or 4/0,2's and 1/0 are to small. 2/0 will break on big fish.

Yeah I'll be using a guide in Homosassa and I'm well aware of the rocks. They have a sculpture made of broken props on your way out to remind you. Maybe I'll just make a variety of sizes to just be prepared. Thanks for the advice.