Strange event at the ramp... what do you do? - Page 8

Florida Sportsman

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Welcome to my world,..... What will tomorrow bring ????

I left on Wednesday for the keys/ Tortugas and just got back on the forum site tonight. This thread grew into the most entertaining thread yet over the last five days! Keep the funny stories coming. Really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlypper View Post
    How about waking up at O'dark thirty, loading up the boat, driving all the way to the public ramp, only to realize that the keys to the boat are hanging back in the house?
    OMG I did that with my Gheenoe once.... 30 miles to the ramp and realized I forgot the gas tank. I was so friggin' pissed off and did 100 mph all the way home and back. Caught fish that day so glad I didn't give up.

mlaco:

LMAOP
    Nitro Performance Bass Boats

Quote Originally Posted by nitroskiff View Post
    OK...I just remembered one.. it isnt a boat thing but it is a boat ramp story.

OK. So I go out fishing, nice day in summer about 3 years ago. Outgoing tide all morning and caught alot of fish. Came in at dead low tide to Arlington Marina ramp. Usual, tie boat to dock, go get truck, back truck down ramp. Drive boat up trailer. Lots of people at ramp launching boats and such. Bunch of idiots!! Im watching 2-3 people to a boat taking alot longer then me to load and launch boats. I drive my boat up on trailer, im sure with a smug grin, thinking, you all suck. Im much better and cooler at loading and launching...HAHAHA..

Boat is now on trailer. All is well. What a beautiful performance showing all these weekend yahoos how its done!! YEAAAHH!!

So, I get over the trolling motor and step down on the tongue of the trailer. All good...I am a pro!!!!

Step down onto the boat ramp. Take about 2 steps and WHAAM!! What the hell!!! I am now laying on the boat ramp covered in slime and rolling around in the water like a pig in grease!!! I stand up, WHAMM!!! DAMN IT!!! Im back in the water again!!! This sucks!!!

People laughing...of course!

Finally I make it to the back of the truck and hold onto it for dear life and see all the algae on the ramp. Take a few deep breaths...collect my dignity, if I had any left, and proceed to the door of truck.

I NEVER MADE IT TO THE DAMN DOOR..It just wasnt meant to be.........WHAMMM!! Im down again and now I am rolling and sliding further down the ramp and back into the **** WATER!!!!!!!

Please some one just shoot me!!!!

Finally, I got my big o slimmy wet self to the truck and then pulled the boat and trailer to safer grounds..

What a shame....I was doing so well showing all the weekend yahoos how us fisherman are so good a loading a boat. :(

I let us down...sorry LOL
    OMG, that story cracked me up. It's a good thing I wasn't drinking coffee, I would have spewed it out my nose all over the keyboard at work, and it is hard to look professional when you are chorteling coffee through your nose! I think what makes this so funny is that we all get haughty sometimes, and life has a way of taking is down a peg or two. Thanks for the belly laugh!.

I bought my boat two months ago (first outboard) and have:
    1.) Lost two anchors by allowing the knot to come undone, and then to make sure that I get a dose of humble pie...for allowing the knot to get frayed (I use my anchor rope to tie off to bridges) and......come undone. I do hope I was paying attention the last time....
    2. forgot to put the boat plug in-and then was so sharp, that I was mindlessly walking back up to the truck after tieing off the boat......someone was kind enough to mention it without laughing to my face...
    3. learned that a falling tide and the flats are not a good combination, after three guys in a scrappy ol boat pulled me out of the mud, I had the good sense to thank them for their trouble, and promptly back my trailer off the end of the ramp....yes they helped me lift the trailer back onto the ramp....I wanted to disappear. I am pretty sure they wondered how I hadn't managed to kill myself on my boat yet....GODALMIGHTY that was a humbling day.
    4.) caught a huge fish with a tight drag an allowed that big fish to pull the tip of my pole right into the prop of the boat (was trolling while passing through a no wake zone). Of course that big ol fish was my propeller. I was stupendously happy to see no one watching for that one!
    5.) And I am glad to hear that someone else was mystified that their boat refused to leave the trailer at full throttle when the straps were still on.

This is dang sure a humbling little hobby! For those, like me, who are preoccupied, it can be more so. Thanks for all the posts, makes me feel better.

No matter how good you are, how many times you have loaded and unloaded a boat, sooner or later something bad is going to happen if you go boating enough

Keep the stories coming

LOL

Ok here we go!
    Plug done it

Not a boat ramp story but worthy of sharing.

So I am solo in N. Georgia fly fishing a small creek with my dog. My dog is a great companion but she kept scaring the fish that day. On the last stop for the day I left her in the truck with the engine running so the air could be on for her. I got out of the truck, and got my rod out of the back sat on the bumper for a min and tied on a new fly. Then I headed down the bank to go get em. When I got into the stream I peeled off some line and started to cast. Then I heard this god awful noise of branches breaking, and loud scraping, etc. I looked up to see my truck coming down a 20ft ledge all by itself, and them WAMM into a tree luckliy before it ended up in the stream. I had just put on a very nice, and expensive new custom bumper witch protected the hood and fenders, but the bumper was a total loss! I could not figure out how my dog could have put her foot on the brake, and shifted the truck in gear all by herself, but she did it. Yeah right! I put the thing in 4 low and punched it to back it out doing even more damage on the way out. What a dumb ***! Hope you enjoyed my stupidity. I didn;t that day, but it is damn funny now.
    The Duke

Gause Built 26

Im guilty of the plug thingy too. We went half way to the ledge before coming off the throttle and realising something was wrong when we tried to throttle back up and the boat didnt want to get on plane. Luckily, we managed to get the boat back on plane, and climbed down in the bilge and plugged the hole from the inside with a wood plug modified with some electrical tape.
    Man this thread has been hilarious!
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Dingo and Boattronics(tony)

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

I love reading these stories...

Hey Dave (Kajo) Maybe a sticky thread here?????? Seems like everyone is enjoying it..

nitroskiff, my wife came upstairs to see what the heck I was howling about while reading your slick ramp story. Forgot the keys last summer. Friend backed me into the water and was wondering why I wasn't firing up the yamaha. Took it as a sign and just pulled the boat back to the house.
    Many moons ago I was doing my first solo out of navy jax in a C152. I meticulously went through my walkaround inspection, pulled the chocks then climbed in the cockpit and began my preflight list. Fired up, applied throttle and went nowhere. Added a little more throttle and went nowhere. Befuddled, I watch as someone walks by and points at my wingtips. I look and see I'm still tied down to the ramp. As with the boat, I shut down, grabbed my stuff and headed home.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast