Strange event at the ramp... what do you do?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Strange event at the ramp... what do you do?

So I was at the ramp and there was a gentleman that had just dropped his cobia into the water. As he circled back to approach the floating ramp, he lost power. He signaled for help, and we motored over to him to assist. We pulled him a few yards back over to the dock, and tied him off. He couldnt figure out why the motor wouldnt crank.... it was turning over but not firing up. He said he never had a seconds trouble since the boat was new 4 years ago, and kept trying to crank. I suggested trying the ball, but it was firm. I told him we'd pull him over to the trailer, to help him get it back on, and he was thankfull. Then, I noticed the killswitch lanyard was wrapped several times around the wheel and pulled out, and we laughed as he plugged it back in and cranked the motor right up.
    Thats when things got wierd.
    The man took off, and rode west down the river out of sight. The funny part was, his truck and trailor was still backed down with the truck running.

We talked about it while packing up and going about our business. But before we left, we realised the joke wasnt really funny anymore. The dude was gone, and his truck was still running and the tide would soon be changing. There was another guy with his sons there that had witnessed the ordeal, and by now 15 minutes has passed and still no sign of dude. The other guy made the call to go ahead and pull the truck up, which was obviously the right thing to do. The other guy was gonna wait a bit longer and we left, all scratching our heads.

Did this guy completely forget about his truck? I wonder at what point he will decide he forgot to pull his truck up, or when he gets back will he think to himself, "Huh, I dont remember parking here?"

I never got the inclination he was drunk or anything like that..... I hope this guy was okay! Im wondering what the correct protocall (lol) for this situation is, 'cause in all my crazy boat ramp days I never seen anything like that!

Theres a lot of folks complaining about boat ramp activity lately.... maybe we can lighten the mood by suggesting what to do here, and add something crazy you saw at the ramp, so we all know what to do when wierd boat ramp stuff happens.
    :facepalm
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Man it took me awhile to absorb that story. When you said "dropped his cobia in the water" I assumed you meant a cobia. I couldnt figure out how anyone would drop a cobe in the water to begin with and why the guy would head west at the end of a days fishing. So he dropped his Cobia in the water and lost power after he launched and then left his truck on the ramp after getting it started? He's either drunk, high or an idiot. You did the right thing helping someone in need.... in need of a clue. I've seen a million jackasses at the boat ramp but that story might take the cake.

That's the new M.O. for boat thieves...if they can, they steal boat and truck then drive to the ramp and leave the truck and take the boat somewhere else to be stripped....

....ooops !! :smoking

I almost drove off the road with tony telling me the story over the phone..
    Older.....Slower....but I still put the fear of GOD in the fishes..........

That's just a dude who smoked something silly on the way to the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    That's just a dude who smoked something silly on the way to the ramp.
    Not really...

I was a victim to this "kill switch" problem in a FLA tourny.. Boat would not crank and I was so mad...then Wade and Terry suggested the kill switch....well, it fired right up with 1 minute before launch time. We finished 2nd place that day...

We all do dumb things, have brain farts etc...

I also remember a FLA tourny where this guy who knows all about boat electronics, could not get his brand new trolling motor to work...I suggested a blown fuse....wouldnt you know it.....that was the problem LMAO
    Nitro Performance Bass Boats

Quote Originally Posted by nitroskiff View Post
    Not really...

I was a victim to this "kill switch" problem in a FLA tourny.. Boat would not crank and I was so mad...then Wade and Terry suggested the kill switch....well, it fired right up with 1 minute before launch time. We finished 2nd place that day...We all do dumb things, have brain farts etc...
    ....and you left your truck running on the boat ramp?

I have dropped a cobia in the water before, passing all 59lbs of it to the dock, by the tail, and just as it cleared the gunnel, splash! Everyone was watching and I have yet to hear the end of it, fortunately koolau was able to fish it out with the gaff after a few minutes poking around the pilings.

One morning before checkout at the Greater Jax tourney, we watched a guy trying to tie off to the east side of the east floating dock at mayport boat ramp when he was washed up on the sand by a passing boat wake. Now thoroughly stuck he proceeded to place it in reverse and pin it hoping to back out, not happening, he continued for so long the overheat warning was going off, and I'm sure his impeller looked like it had been sanded smooth, he still continued until it happen, Clunk! Seized! He kept trying to start it, I felt so bad for the guy, everyone was telling him to stop.

Not 1/4 of a mile away, on the same morning, we were squeezed in line awaiting the beginning of checkout when the boat in front of us quickly attempted to swerve which forced us to slow and turn the other way. As we came around the port side of a 38' Fountain as it was taking a green channel marker down the side of the hull. Looked pretty bad, not sure what happen to it.

How about admitting the dumb things you yourself have done at a boat ramp,,,,,

I have forgotten the plug twice.....

And one time at Beach Blvd Marine I forgot the transom tie downs. I could not figure out why the boat would not back off the trailer..I had it in reverse full speed about to blow the motor up....then it hit me. Luckily it was summer time so I just went over board and took the transom tie downs off. All was good after that....except my ego!!!!!
    Nitro Performance Bass Boats

Strange indeed. I had a weird moment last week as well. As you know Mayport is kind of silted in. There's room for four trailers with a tight fit but you have to think of others to do it correctly. Well, I was heading in with two kids beating a storm. I blew by these guys at the fuel depot and came off plane coming in to the ramp. These guys passed within 15 feet of me still on plane and had to beat me to the dock to unload. Two older men (read: should know better) unload one who backs down the ramp essentially blocking the ramp due to another boat there. Well, by now it's raining and the kids are not happy. The finally load the boat on the trailer and pull up just far enough so the back tires of the trailer are out of the water. Really? Really? I can't believe it. They stopped to put gator clips for their trailer lights and are still blocking the whole dang ramp. I ask them to please move so I can get the boat loaded and the kids out of the weather. They act like I'm inconveniencing them but begrudgingly move forward.

Moral of the story. Some people are beyond help and you can't teach manners to a moron.
    27' Cape Horn.... "Mojo"

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast