Something from nothing story.

Florida Sportsman

Something from nothing story.

This is what immigration is about.

Jack Tramiel, Man Behind Commodore 64, Has Died
    07:17 pm

April 9, 2012

Jack Tramiel, the man behind the Commodore 64 computer, died Sunday, according to reports. Tramiel, who was 83, came to America after World War II. He was a survivor of the Auschwitz concentration camp in his native Poland.

Tramiel was freed from Auschwitz by American troops. In a 2007 interview, Tramiel explained what effect that experience had on him.

"When I came to the United States, I definitely felt I owed something to this country," he said.

So, Tramiel joined the U.S. Army a year after arriving in New York in 1947. And after his service, he turned to working with typewriters, then calculators and finally, personal computers.

From Computer World:

"Tramiel's Commodore International in 1982 released the Commodore 64, a home computer that became one of the most popular models of all time, selling close to 17 million units between 1982 and 1994."

In 1984, Tramiel was forced out at Commodore. Soon after, he purchased Atari Corp., which he ran for more than 10 years.

The news of his death brought an outpouring of tweets and comments on technology sites, among them, Atari Age, where one user, bennybingo, posted this comment:

"Truly saddened by this news...he was just one of the many technology pioneers who shaped a large part of my childhood. He certainly left a very positive mark in the history books. Rest in peace."

As NPR's Susan Stamberg reported in 2007, Tramiel was a founder of the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. He made certain that the name of the U.S. serviceman who helped to liberate him, Vernon W. Tott, was etched into the memorial wall
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "

Great story, thanks for posting.
    Member #1125

I used to play Space Invaders so much I couldn't sleep for seeing them when I shut my eyes, and that du du du du sound!!

RIP

A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

RIP

that's awesome. can we get some credit for the Cuban Sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by HialeahAngler View Post
    Sure, what was the name of the guy who invented it and has he died yet?
    A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

RIP

I was born in Ft Myers
    FSU is the best football team of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by HialeahAngler View Post
    No, it was probably invented in LA like the rest of Mexican food.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government. "