Sunday beach cruisin, lookin

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunday beach cruisin, lookin

We went out yesterday with my wife and her mom to do a cruise on the beach and to have easter lunch on the boat. While I was loading, I asked the wife, should I bring any rods? ... duh, of course if I didnt I would see like 100 cobia ready to jump in the boat. So I grabbed one pomp rod and one cobe rod and we went off... The gulf side of shell island was absolutely beautiful! And unlike Saturday, I actually saw some life up next to the beach. WE had several schools of pompano swim by, but boy they are fast. Until last week, I had been a pompano virgin... In the last two weeks, I am up to three and those little buggers are fun, and tasty. So only hooked one today, but he hit a bare jig. Nice fun fight and all were having fun. We also saw several smallish cobes (20-30 lb) swimming, but they would not even look at the jig I was throwing at them. Needed something alive to get some interest. All in all a very fun day on the water with the family.

It was a little pompano... but it was legal size and the wife loves to eat pompano, so it came home... I felt kind of bad a bout it

Next time I will not leave the dock without something alive to throw at a cobia... crab, eel, pinfish, croaker... something, anything and we would have had 2 smaller but also legal size cobes...

Yeah sometimes it's difficult to get those little sharks to take a jig. ;-)
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Hahaha... you soooo funny

Man that looks like a beautiful day on the water. That emerald green/clear water looks incredible. Congrats :full

I've been tempted to play hookie all week.....Every day I drive out to the beach just to see what I'm missing, and if it weren't for a sail fishing trip I'm taking off for next week...I would have definitely been sick all week
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!

Check Out Our Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/RockTheBoatCharters

http://www.RockTheBoatCharters.com

It was a beautiful day... Where are you going sailfishing? Central America, south fl or the keys? They are fun, and fight great, but after a few we always wanted to try and find something to eat. They are so thick out of Palm Beach and jupiter that it is a year round thing to get a few sails now. Everyone talks about it being a winter bite down in sfl, but I have caught more sails in the summer than at any other time. Guess it is because we could catch the bait and not have to spend $80 a dozen on gogs as was the case during winter down there. Anyhow, good luck on your trip Mac, be sure to give us a report afterward!

Going down to Jupiter. I've had it on my list of to-dos and we were finally able to make it happen this year. We were originally scheduled to go in February, but lousy bait #'s and an unusual current changed our plans. I was to believe, by friends who had gone, that winter is the best time to go. But, just like you mentioned, our captain told us that's not really the case. We were told that the bigger fish move through in the winter, but that spring/summer will produce heavy #'s, and we shouldn't have any problems catching bait. The spawn should be happening at any time and the dolphin are starting to show up in good #'s too. Im also seeing a lot of good Cobia reports on spearfishing sites.

We're taking a full day on Friday and a half day on Saturday. I'll be doing some night time snook fishing on my own as well. I'll definitely post up a report on the trip and may try to get a 'live from the water' thread going if service allows. Now that I have tapatalk, it should be pretty easy.
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!

Check Out Our Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/RockTheBoatCharters

http://www.RockTheBoatCharters.com

Which captain are you taking? Hope its Charlie! Anyhow, my buddy down there said the hoo's are already setting up out of Jupiter and the larger blackfins are starting to show. I think the cobia stuff is almost at a close as that is really a early spring run but with the mild winter this year, came at the end of the winter proper. Jupiter is a great place to fish, and I have caught more hoo's there than anywhere else. Everything should be alive this time of the year, fins, hoos, BFT's and sails... that wouldn't be a bad day? Good luck! Also, the snookin is rock solid! That is the fish I really miss about being in the panhandle...so tasty and easy to access the fishery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast