Mingo Madness!

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Mingo Madness!

Mingo Madness!

With limits then gas then closures we have gone from owning an offshore boat to charter to head boat. Had a great time out of Destin Thurs. with 30 of our newest friends. I gotta say the fishing is not bad. We caught 50 lbs. of mingos and whites between two of us. We refilled the freezer and got our arms tired pulling up fish. The only thing I hate is seeing all those endangered reds float away that don't make it back down. I used to make fun of head boats, for the money with all these regs. it is not a bad option.

Yeah, it's really not a bad option. Just ask [enter brand here] boat manufacturing company.

Even though a head boat is affordable, I can't even justify that expense, or the time actually, to go bottom fishing right now. I think that has been the gulf council's mission... to simply make people quit. Anyway, it's great that you had a good time and that there are still some boats running... means that capt and a couple deck hands have a job... but I'm not going to spend an entire day off chasing beeliners, throwing back 13.75" triggers, and killing snapper and grouper for no reason.

Until I can keep a handful of different species, you'll find me doing stuff near the hill (inshore fishing, ling spotting, island time, etc). It's hard to believe that for the second year in row (and probably forever) there is not a single day that we are allowed to keep Gag, Red Grouper, AJ and snapper.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandler80 View Post
    It's hard to believe that for the second year in row (and probably forever) there is not a single day that we are allowed to keep Gag, Red Grouper, AJ and snapper.
    I hear you. That statement says it all.

"mingos and whites" ? Is a mingo same as a mangrove - mango/gray/black snapper ? What is a "white" ?

beeliners and porgies... dont know why

edit, dont know why they are called mingos and white snapper... I have heard of vermillion's, beeliners, red eye snapper... never heard mingo until I came to the panhandle... and as for white snapper... I have no clue, they aren't snapper, they are porgies... very pretty and taste good, but are bony unless larger

Yes, they are a porgy. Red porgy, I believe. However, most folks up here call them white snapper and I thnk they taste like metal cans. I would imagine this is a result of years and years of having a very active headboat fleet and the term "white snapper" just got used a lot... keep in mind, on some head boats rubylips are strung up as "sugar bream" and lots of deckhands won't think twice about icing off a hardtail. Anyway, White Snapper just sounds better than Porgy to those guys and the term made it's way to monkey boats and weekend warriors.

On the mingo thing... no good explanation for that. I hear mingo and it makes me mad, actually.

Then down south, you have mangrove (black snapper here) referred to as "mangos." I'm guessing that "mango" evolved from the actual name (mangrove) being spoken with a heavy Cuban accent. Just a theory.

That and they like to eat mangos... juicy

"taste like a metal can"

This from the sailor's choice guy! lol

Quote Originally Posted by crcattypc View Post
    "taste like a metal can"

This from the sailor's choice guy! lol
    This coming from a guy that doesn't know a small shark from a barely legal cobia. Might explain why they weren't interested in your jig. ;-)