A Few Surprises....Nice day in the bay...

Florida Sportsman

A Few Surprises....Nice day in the bay...

Well, ScottK, Manny and I had a plan. We were going to possibly go offshore or stay in the bay and do some trolling during the day but the real objective was going to be to do some tarpon fishing at the bridge for the full moon tides. We had put this plan together about a month ago. All of us got clearance from the wives, and we were fishing. Well, then mother nature stuck her head in the middle and decided that she would throw some wind into the master plan.

So, offshore concept was totally scrapped. I figured though it was a northeast wind. The channel where we were thinking about trolling runs the exact same direction. Outgoing tide, should be doable. But even yesterday morning we still were on the fence but figured what the heck, lets give it a shot.

So, off we go. It was pretty breezy but the bay wasn't horrible. At least downwind. So we trolled. Glad we went. We killed it. started off with a few small ones but then the big boys came out to play. We caught 4 or 5 nice size gags. Sad to have to throw them back but at least we got something to yank the line. Then our real surprise, we started pulling in keeper red grouper. They actually were fighting better than the gags and they were hammering the baits.

So we ended up with 3 nice red grouper so scott could take some fillets home for his chippee. Probably caught in the neighborhood of 20 grouper, and 7-9 of them were keeper size which for out there was one of my better batting averages.

Then we went to the bridge. Tried a little bit to find bait but didn't see any at the normal spots. The wind for whatever reason was either stronger at the bridge or picked up and made it pretty sporty where we wanted to fish with 2-3's bouncing around. So, we decied to call it a day.

Beer was cold, weather was surprisingly good, fished with good friends. All in all a great day. And the 2012 tarpon cherry will wait for another day.

Sorry, no pictures. Scott was camera shy.

Tight Lines....
    Last edited by CaptainBly; 04-08-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Dosen't get much better than that. I can almost taste the blackened grouper sandwiches. My wife loves eating grouper so whenever I spend too much on fishing gear I just tell her that I'm trying to catch her some dinner.
    The two best times to fish is when itís raininí and when it ainít. ĖPatrick F. McManus

"Sorry, no pictures. Scott was camera shy."

witness protection plan prolly
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi