I have a law question for CCW

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have a law question for CCW

I've been searching for the past hour looking for a law about where I can carry.

Here's the situation: my company has a policy that no weapons are allowed in the building. It is not posted anywhere for general public to see it though, so employees cannot have weapons, but anyone who comes in the building and doesn't work for the company can.

This seems like a violation of the Second Ammendment. I know in Utah you can take your CCW anywhere that it's not actually posted no weapons in the building, but I'm not sure of the Florida statutes and I'm having a really hard time finding them.

If anyone can provide info on this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

I believe you can legally carry the firearm to your place of employment just like the customers......and your company can legally fire you for doing so.
    Come to Forced Sex University where you can rape women for free!!!

Ha! I think I can legally sue them for violation of my second ammendment rights too, but I'm not sure. Thanks lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    I believe you can legally carry the firearm to your place of employment just like the customers......and your company can legally fire you for doing so.
    Pretty sure RBI is correct here. A fairly well known employer with mouse ears does not allow employees with firearms and did indeed fire one 2-3 years ago for violating their policy

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    True. Happened at my previous employer. One of the IT guys used to carry when he worked an extended shift into the early morning. He made the mistake of mentioning it to someone who told someone who ...... HR met him one evening when he was packing and sent him packing. Rumor had it that the CEO always wore an ankle holster. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
    Ha! I think I can legally sue them for violation of my second ammendment rights too, but I'm not sure. Thanks lol.
    Nope. A private company is allowed to set policies for employment which you agree to when you accept their offer of employment. You violate them, you get fired....has nothing to do with your 2nd Ammendment rights.

There is a current law that prevents the employer from disallowing you from having a firearm in the company parking lot. There are many exceptions though.
    Come to Forced Sex University where you can rape women for free!!!

Some companies like mine has an officially written policy of no personal guns in the office (doesn't say anything about the parking lot) which I belive is dictated by the company's insurance policy. However, there are several of us who carry in the office everyday but we know enough to keep our mouth shut and not show the piece to anyone. I'm sure the upper management knows we carry but they don't seem to care as long as we don't tell anyone and they don't go around asking.

Thanks for the information guys. I know in the case of Disney they have a sign at every public entrance saying no weapons of any kind are allowed inside. In Utah that's the requirement.

RedBaron, that's a good point. I did sign their document. I suppose in that case you're right. I'm violating what I signed off on. Anyone else doesn't work here, so it's cool if they bring a gun in.

I suppose what it comes right down to is this: when they call me at night and say one of the doors isn't shut tight I'm going to tell them to call the police instead and I'll lock myself in the secure room until the police inform me the building is cleared. I know 99.9% of the time someone just didn't close the door tight, but I'd hate to find out it's the .01% and not have my CCW on me. Getting shot in the face is not high on my bucket list.

Florida law states that they cannot prohibit you from having a weapon in your car but they can set policy for employees and fire you if you violate their rules. I would say if you are worried about being shot at work, it's time to find a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
    Concealed weapon carry is not a "Second Amendment Right" ( yes,not even per recent Supreme Court Decision,study the details,reference to legitimate gun regulation)

A state right,granted by the Citizen's government,but not solely a 2nd Amendment Right.

I used to work for a company that had No Weapons Policy. Many of us ignored/violated the policy.After all,we were in Florida's Murder leader.....Duval County !!!! And in the thick of things.

Then there is the discussion about "Policy" and "Rule".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast