Haul Over Canal fishing

Florida Sportsman

Haul Over Canal fishing

Im new to the forum and new to fishing the Haul over canal area. What is the best way to fish for reds near or at the haul over canal. I fish lures 90% of the time, but don't have any trouble fishing with bait, provided you can get it! I also have a kayak and will Wade if need be. I did all my prior fishing from Sebastian to thousand islands in Cocoa and did really well with the reds. I will be fishing this Monday (without kayak) and would take any help I can get. Last time I was there I saw lots of spots all along the road, but have no idea of what's hot and what's not, or what I should use? Thanks
    John

Senior Member Indian River Joel's Avatar
    I've only fished haulover a handful of times. I have had mixed results there. You can park on the south side of the bridge and follow a trail along the peninsula out to the point. You can wade the entire point area. I have caught some nice reds there before, but I have been skunked as well. I did catch 4 snook in December out there, which I thought was odd. The grass was so thick running through the canal that the only way to fish is was bass fishing style with a weedless bass assassin on a weightless worm hook. I couldnt even fish a a weighted hook because it was grabbing too much grass. I had a lot of snook follow my lure in but the second it had a piece of grass on it, they left pursuit. Other times the water has been clear.

Just make sure you are prepared for everything if you fish out there.
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881

Thanks IRJoel. I will give this a try and see what's up. I'm sure I will find my nitch. It's just a matter of time and finding out everything about the fish in that area. How they relate to structure, what structure, water temps, food source's, tides, water clarity, weather and so on. I'm just trying to save time by taking a shortcut on the locals knowledge of the area. I guess TIME on the water and expreance from past trips is always going to be the best teacher, when it comes to learning new waters. Again thanks!
    John