last few days

Florida Sportsman

Thread: last few days

last few days

It's been horribly slow the last few days and I dont remember much except last night so I'll tell that and the rest are pix from the last few days.

I went out late last night only to realize I was getting sick... fast but had to cowboy up and continue on. I went up to a bridge to grab some whitebait and setup shop to start chumming under the bridge. I get setup and get chum thingy out and turn around and theres a frickin 40"+ snook right in front of me!! When I say right in front of me I mean like 3 ft away as in I coulda leaned over the boat and grabbed her literally, she was a beast sitting right next to bridge pillar right on shadowline at front of bridge on outgoing tide. So im thinking "how am I gunna catch this thing??" and out of the orner of my eye I see another equally as big out near the middle.. and just past the shadowline is whitebait and I mean lots of whitebait, like that's all that you could see...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0632.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	26536

I tried getting pix of snook and if only my good camera hadnt drowned....

So Anyway I grab a rod with a fluke on it and shoot it out in front of one in the middle but not interested so i grabbed a huge shad swimbait and huck it out up current and bring it back angled right at this monster and it's getting closer.... and closer... and right at at her nose... BAMMMM!! she slams it but doesnt get hooked and I dont know if i pulled it out or what and this is still only like 15ft away and I'm shaking like crazy now! Not only cause that was frickin awesome but now wondering how i'd even land the thing there. So then the one in front of me slides out towards the middle and I throw the same swimbait out and it's coming closer... and closer... and BAMM!!!!! UGGGGGG missed again!!! At this point I'm probably looking like im having a seizure I'm shaking so bad but I dont think they were actually trying to eat my bait but maybe just irritated and just trying to keep it from hitting them cause they surely could have inhaled it. Then one comes back and I throw a doa shrimp and it follows it down but no takes then they are gone but another monster pops up on my right on other side of piller but couldnt get it.

So I float back down behind the bridge to get some whitiebait even though the front is full and go to thro net and I guess I had a rip in fingernail and when I thru net half my nail went with it... ouch!! A few more throws and I was good and was going to head to another bridge to see if same thing was going on there. Stopped at a snook dock and only saw one small one but sat there a minute and then I saw one of the big mamas go thru the light and a few others so eventho I have whitebait I just thru artificials. That didnt work to well so I busted out a fly rod and tried a few but nothing then I put on a pink steelhead fly and cast it into the light and the big mama exploded from below and I'm sure I pulled it out to fast, ugggg. SO I kept casting it and she stayed up in view and circled the center post and stopped under the lid and she was fired up!!! Had her tail way up going crazy and everytime I'd bring fly by she looked like a cat ready to pounce then she's very fast circle the outside post and go back to same thing but everytime she'd circle she'd go further out until she was within feet of boat then she was gone... uggg

Day broke and I caught a trout which was kinda funny because I'd caught the same trout a few days prior and a shark had hit it when I was bringing it in so that;s how I could tell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0602.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	26538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0605.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	26539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0606.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	26540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0610.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	26541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0611.jpg 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	26542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0616.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	26543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0621.jpg 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	26544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0622.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	26545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0636.jpg 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	26546

Great report maybe one of these days they will open snook season again!

Great report. Good pics too. Is that a barracuda?
    If it ain't caught on top, it don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Assassin View Post
    Great report. Good pics too. Is that a barracuda?
    Won't speak for stormy, but that looks like a kingfish. More silvery.
    Optimism is the greatest trait a fisherman can possess.

You sure can find the fish, Dave. Nice night and you'll get those big snook soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by outboardsurplus View Post
    Great report maybe one of these days they will open snook season again!
    Thanks but hopefully they'll keep the season closed another year, I doubt I'd keep one since I rarely eat fish but I'd like to see better numbers

Quote Originally Posted by bigfinn35 View Post
    Won't speak for stormy, but that looks like a kingfish. More silvery.
    I think it was just a spanish mackerel, it sure peeled some line though!

Quote Originally Posted by barrynfla View Post
    You sure can find the fish, Dave. Nice night and you'll get those big snook soon enough.
    I found snookzilla last night! She's HUGE, I was fishing at 35"ers and this thing looked like it could have snookvac'd one of those up no problem, had to have been well into the 50"+ and I would have said tarpon if I wasnt right next to it and could clearly see it.

Wow! I want to see that fish in your arms with a big smile on your face...just one smile won't hurt.
    If it ain't caught on top, it don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Assassin View Post
    Wow! I want to see that fish in your arms with a big smile on your face...just one smile won't hurt.
    whatcha talking about????? That IS my smile!! lol
    if I do catch that mofo I wont be able to get a picture of it in my boat since I cant stand back far enough to get it in....

Dude... this thing is huge... HUGE!! but will be almost impossible to catch where it's at, I could probably poke it with rod but catch it is another story