Day of the Dolphin, Jupiter 4/18/12

Florida Sportsman

Day of the Dolphin, Jupiter 4/18/12

Oops, it is Thursday, April 19th...
    Finally the winds have let up and seas calm down , time to go fishing. Head out of the Jupiter Inlet around 6:40 AM. Go north to the
    "Bait Stop" and pull in some sardines and a few blue runners. Zach, my fishing partner for the day, has also rigged up some nice looking ballyhoo. Decide to troll first, then live bait.
    Head out to 165 ft just north of the inlet, and put out four baits. When we hit 220, the first bait gets nailed. Zach jumps on the pole, sets the hook. Dolphin in the air! Unfortunately, his 2nd jump and the hooks and lures come flying out of his mouth. As Zach is reeling in that line, pole on the port side goes off...I jump on that one, set the hook, a miss. Drop back, he's back on! Set the hook, a miss again. No time to feel sad, cause a pole on the starboard side snaps out of the outrigger...fish on. Zach makes quick work of this one, smaller fish on bigger reel, and FINALLY one in the boat!

Okay, after much washing out the boat, rerigging, we get back to trolling speed. Heading "south" now, horizontal line on 220-200 ft of water.
    Not 10 minutes later, another fish on. I grab that one and set the hook. Another 'fin and he's a jumping maniac. Good size on this one, battle him for awhile, almost to the boat. He looks tired, but NO, jumps right next to the boat as Zach is getting the gaff ready and out comes the lure and hooks. I can still hear him laughing! Boat up to speed, another fish hits the outrigger. I grab it, set the hook REAL HARD this time, and battle him to the boat. Here's the two we boated:

We missed two more after that, also had on a very big sail (Jumped off too). Enough of this, let's try some live baits. Had two quick "hits" right as we dropped them in, then nothing for another hour.
    Skies turning dark, we head in to Blowing Rocks Marina. While I am putting the poles and stuff away, Zach sees some big Jacks cruising under the boats in the water, can't resist. Buries a hook in a dead 'hoo and drops it down. Fish on! I can't believe he actually caught this big jack, it ran him around pilings and under boats. But he did!

Tally for the day: 2 Dolphin in the boat, 4 dolphin still swimming, 1 sail probably still jumping, and a big jack with a sore jaw back at the marina.
    A fun day, but was better for the dolphins than us.
    Last edited by RockNReeler; 04-19-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Nice work and way to grab one more a the dock

Publisher
    Nice catch and report RockNReeler, could be a tourney winner at the SE Bash, hope to see you there.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...SANDSPRIT-PARK

Nice set of slingers
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Brfdlt/jump.gif

Life begin's as soon as I leave the dock!

Nice job. Sounds action packed! Thanks for the report.