HSB 4-3-12

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HSB 4-3-12

HSB 4-3-12

As some of you may or may not know, I coach a local rec-league soccer team here in Lake City. Chris, my assistant coach this season, felt like fishing with his sons- I was more than happy to oblige. We decided on the 3rd of April as a day that worked for everyone, and for once, mother nature cooperated.

The inshore seas were super-calm this morning and remained as such all day, the breeze was just enough to keep the heat from getting to you, and kept the bimini top down all day in spite of equipping it expecting a 90+ degree scorcher... When it got too toasty, we got up on plane and cooled off with some ice-cold dye-free Gatorades that really hit the spot. Now this was a great day to take kids fishing.

We hooked up all day and managed quite a few trout in the 16-17" range, and had a nice flounder to boot. Hooked into an undersized spanish mack and some smaller rat-sized black drum- which were fun, as it was the first time I'd found one. We grabbed quite a few ladyfish, which the kids loved seeing jump.

I spent most of the day taking photos, as you can see here - it was not a bad use of my time. Although, the keepers were in-fact caught by myself shortly after the tide started flowing out, but Chris did help out with one of the larger trout and the flounder. I think most of that success-rate was related to cast-distance from the boat. The kids didn't care, they caught fish all day, watched a movie they hadn't seen on the way, and topped it all off with a stop at dairy queen.

We fished L-rack and the "fingers" on the way to Suwannee mostly; used white gulps on jigs most of the day- although I did let the kids pick colors at one point, so I didn't keep track of what was really producing.

Water temps ranged from 75-77. All-in-all a perfect spring day with friends and kids.

Enjoy the photos, which pretty much speak for themselves.

Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

Not too shabby Chip! Looks like those kids had a blast! You really should have thrown in a few bucks though and got that fellow a decent hat before you took all the pics.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPH...1&feature=plcp

LOL No kidding, I almost didn't let him on the boat because of that. ;)

Oh BTW; I almost cried laughing when I saw him pull bananas out of his cooler. I guess the superstition gods felt bad that he was a Georgia fan.

A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

Quote Originally Posted by tekmunki View Post
    LOL No kidding, I almost didn't let him on the boat because of that. ;)

Oh BTW; I almost cried laughing when I saw him pull bananas out of his cooler. I guess the superstition gods felt bad that he was a Georgia fan.
    Bananas on the boat? Oh no he didn't! Too funny.
    Chris

Bananas I can handle, but no way would them hats ride on the boat....
    Still looks like all had a good time....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways.

Lots O Fish and BIG smiles there . Way to go chip! They certainally will remember that trip!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Looks like a good time. You weren't confusing that whiting for a "puppy drum" were you?
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Rod View Post
    Looks like a good time. You weren't confusing that whiting for a "puppy drum" were you?
    I didn't catch that. The only place I've ever caught whiting in Horseshoe has been South of the channel between markers 11 and 9 on those two spoil banks. Generally, they are all about the same size as the one he's holding. That's the only place I've ever caught them and every time I try that spot we catch them. Strange.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Rod View Post
    Oh man, I bet I was- I hadn't caught one before, so being it looked almost exactly like a rat red, but it was grey/white- and looked like it was developing those black-drum stripes, I naturally assumed it was a small black drum. It had the exact same mouth as a red.

Thanks, now I know. :D

Quote Originally Posted by tekmunki View Post
    Oh man, I bet I was- I hadn't caught one before, so being it looked almost exactly like a rat red, but it was grey/white- and looked like it was developing those black-drum stripes, I naturally assumed it was a small black drum. It had the exact same mouth as a red.

Thanks, now I know. :D
    Rucker knows everything, just ask him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast