My Thoughts on Big Bend Fishing for Seatrout

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Thoughts on Big Bend Fishing for Seatrout

Not that I'm ever or always right, but this week's Florida Sportsman Big Fishing4Cast is all about "Sure-Fire Trout Techniques". Take a look by clicking here

And here's a photo of the 7-pounder that Bill Stein of Chicago caught aboard my boat at Steinhatchee this past week.

bill_stein_7lb_trout100.jpg

Nice!! Did that break the Sea Hag contest record for March? Last I heard it was just over 6lb.

Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

Nice report and artical Tommy except using J hooks while freelining live bait to trout will usually gut hook and kill them (most of us release our overslot fish). Mirrodines get it done very well.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Quote Originally Posted by troutman57 View Post
    Nice report and artical Tommy except using J hooks while freelining live bait to trout will usually gut hook and kill them (most of us release our overslot fish). Mirrodines get it done very well.
    With due respect Kyle I think you are assuming that "Most of us release oversize trout". I know that's what you do, and I think that's great, but why try and make a man feel bad when he has just caught the trout of a lifetime? I have released many oversize trout but I have kept plenty too. I just think it's wrong to make someone feel as if they have done something wrong when they have not. It's perfectly legal to keep big trout and it should be the anglers choice without some of us trying to impose our views on them. Not trying to pick a fight here, releasing fish is a choice that should be made by the individual. I eat fish and I freeze fish.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter

I keep one every now and then too Rodney and I will keep a trophy for a skin mount when I get one worthy. I do believe most of the folks that fish a lot like you and I do release the lions share of gator trout. The folks that don't fish that often wont have much impact anyhow. I just believe it is prudent to release them when I catch as many as I do. Just my oppinion what others do is entirely up to them. It hasn't anything to do with the law and I know how it feels to catch the fish of a lifetime and release it and keep it. Sharing our views is exactly what we should do here. I don't feel bad if someone differs with me and it doesn't make someone my best bud if someone agrees with me. Live baiting fish with j hooks is a risky business (considering fish mortality) as you know and that is what I don't do. Like you I toss back a ton of fish and like to see them swim away and hit again another day.

I understand your point and agree to some extent. The average "weekend warrior" is never going to damage the trout population by keeping their catch and that was the point I was trying to make. Thanks.

I would like to see a study result on how many more trout survive from a big oversize trout vs. a small female. I know I hear it on here all the time about how the big trout are our breeders, well why are all sizes full of roe? They all lay eggs and I'm sure the males fertilize them too? Is it the thought that they carry the genetics for "big trout"? I don't believe that, what is the reason, more eggs? If that's true then I'm sure twenty small ones will lay more eggs than one big sow.
    Last edited by Fishin Rod; 04-01-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter

Being you are only allowed one fish over 20", it can hardly impact the fishery to keep some on occasion. Most rarely see one that size to begin with or atleast that often.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Rod View Post
    Is it the thought that they carry the genetics for "big trout"?
    I'm not sure either, as I'm no expert, but that is the main reason given. That, and their offspring, will have better genetics.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Rodney I would bet that the more experienced breeders might have a bit more success but what I think here is that a big fish is a smart fish (or lucky) and passing on it's genes is a good thing. Again no science here on seatrout just my lame oppinion based on the slamon issue out west.. By all means if ya get out on a weekly or monthly basis keep them. You and I might be able to do a little damage if we kept them all but I am not ven sure about that. The great part about this disscussion is that we are able to have it with such a healthy fishery around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Rod View Post
    I understand your point and agree to some extent. The average "weekend warrior" is never going to damage the trout population by keeping their catch and that was the point I was trying to make. Thanks.

I would like to see a study result on how many more trout survive from a big oversize trout vs. a small female. I know I hear it on here all the time about how the big trout are our breeders, well why are all sizes full of roe? They all lay eggs and I'm sure the males fertilize them too? Is it the thought that they carry the genetics for "big trout"? I don't believe that, what is the reason, more eggs? If that's true then I'm sure twenty small ones will lay more eggs than one big sow.

I've read a research study on trout spawning that stated (kinda paraphrazing here) that the big "gator" females can lay up to a million eggs at a time while smaller females only lay several hundred thousand eggs at a time. The big ones can also spawn more times during a single season than a smaller female.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast