Sarasota Bay, Night Fishing Report 4/18/12

Florida Sportsman

Sarasota Bay, Night Fishing Report 4/18/12

Left from New Pass around 9pm. Went out with a few buddies last night in search of redfish and snook. Weather was ok, a SE breeze at 10kts made some spots difficult to fish. Water was dirty and lots of debris from the wind.

Started out just below the N. Siesta bridge and caught a few trout, white trout, and a black drum. A few of my regular "lights" were not on, which made the fishing more difficult on top of the wind and dirty water.

Headed into the channel towards Big Pass on the Siesta Key side and came across trout actively feeding in the lights. They were very keyed in on baitfish. Managed to catch a few on shrimp tipped jigs. Caught a 30" redfish under the same docks, which was a nice surprise. (As a note to the picture, the redfish somehow managed to tail-slap me right in the nuts as I was boating it, a perfect shot so to speak...so my buddies are joking with me as I am holding it).

After that spot dried up, headed back towards New Pass and fished a few lights in Zwick's channel. Was slower than normal, and again, several of my honey-hole lights were off. Did catch several 15-17" trout wayyy back in one of the finger channels. They were pretty spooky though.

Headed back to the Marina and called it quits around just before midnight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redfish.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	28399.

Quote Originally Posted by Jirvin70 View Post
    (As a note to the picture, the redfish somehow managed to tail-slap me right in the nuts as I was boating it, a perfect shot so to speak...

Nice red.

Quality Redfish. Keep the reports coming!

nice red, i miss night fishing the lights