Does the Vessel i Capt. Have to be registered commercial ?

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does the Vessel i Capt. Have to be registered commercial ?

I went down to the Tax Collectors office to renew my occupational licence as a Capt. They told me they would not issue me one because my vessel is not registered commercial. Then i asked them when i deliver a vessel or use another vessel why does that not have to be a commercial vessel? They said it did.. I cannot believe this is true. I called FWC a couple times with we will call you back on that... well no call backs. Its is my understanding that i am hired under a service contract, my services are rendered. I am not selling fish or chartering, renting vessels,as would constitute a charter. Sooo whats the deal? anyone?

That's a good question and I see where your coming from. I'm not faced with that as I have my boat registered commercial-charter, but IF your not taking people for hire on your personal boat, I also see NO reason that it should have to be registered that way. Also, would they not issue you an occupational license if you didn't own a boat? Good luck and I hope you get this cleared up

My boats are not registered commercially and I do charters. Our county didn't have that issue. If you captain on someone else's boat no one can expect you or them to have that boat registered commercially.
    Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186
    Book an inshore or offshore charter in Stuart Florida with....
    http://www.bitenholdcharters.com

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."

St. Lucie tax collector is saying the boat needs to be commercial as well and FWC is impossible to get an answer from. When i use to own a boat rental/eco tour/guide service 5 years ago thier was no problem as long as i showed i had insurance. Now everyone has a different answer but no one knows or can not show me anything in writing to suggest either way.

"love my country...but fear my government"

That occupational license is for a charter operator. You don't need a charter license to transport vessels. If they don't have a license for that, you don't need one. FWC has no involvement in issuing occupational licenses.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Commercial vessel defined in F.S. 327.02 (5) “Commercial vessel” means:
    (a) Any vessel primarily engaged in the taking or landing of saltwater fish or saltwater products or freshwater fish or freshwater products, or any vessel licensed pursuant to s. 379.361 from which commercial quantities of saltwater products are harvested, from within and without the waters of this state for sale either to the consumer, retail dealer, or wholesale dealer.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0327.02.html

Man there are a lot of "or's" in that paragraph...lol. So according to the 327.02, none of that applies to a guide service since we do not "land" fish or sell any products.

When applying for an occupational license as a fishing or tour guide, most local governments require your vessel to be registered as commercial since your vessel is " for hire". It has nothing to do with catching a fish under state statute.

The requirement is intended to assure that your vessel is equipped with appropriate safety gear and within operating guidelines as prescribed in the appropriate CFR for the vessel length and weight.

If you are simply operating a business as a vessel transporter, you do not, if you need a home based occupational license at all. The qualifier as I understand it is ownership of a boat. So if you operate a charter vessel, regardless of the use, your vessel needs a commercial registration to obtain a local occupational business license and must be equipped with the appropriate commercial gear to conform to federal guidelines beyond that of recreational boat.

Registering a vessel is as easy as filling out a short form and costs very little.

If you are operating as a charter on a recreational vessel so equipped, you are at risk of a citation from your favorite local marine law enforcement agency.
    Last edited by Gary S. Colecchio; 04-09-2012 at 09:55 AM.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post

Registering a vessel commercial is as easy as filling out a short form and costs very little until your Insurance company finds out about it or refuses a claim

Sorry, but felt the need to complete your sentence.

If what you say above is true, and I have no reason to think it's not, that really is unfair in his set of circumstances.

Thank you. I was going to mention that, but a licenced mariner operating a charter business should know all these things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast