Kingfish on a half-day headboat!

Florida Sportsman

Kingfish on a half-day headboat! 4/1

Me and my neighbor went on Hubbard's Sunday morning half-day. Trolling on the way out we caught a bunch of Spanish mackeral. One was at least 4-5lbs (sweet). These were caught using a #1 planer and a green drone spoon off one of the corner spots. My buddy used a silver spoon with a small trolling weight wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back. He didn't catch anything until about 5 minutes before our first spot but what he did catch was a nice sized Kingfish. We weren't even 10 miles out because you could still see the buildings on the beach. We caught grunts and other shallow water fish as we drifted from spot to spot. On the troll back my buddy got a mackeral as soon as he got the lure back but after that it was quiet all the way back. It was fun for being out for just a few hours but I can't wait to get back to the middle grounds soon!

Solid brother good job on the smoker
    "No one is stronger or more dangerous than a man who can harness his emotions...his past. Use it as fuel as ammunition."

Dave - Appreciate the great pics and all the fishing tips.

Probably all beginners luck, since it was my first time trolling and first catch trolling, but I'll definitely be draggin' more hardware behind that big boat.

Nice fish man! You guys have some great eating fish right there.

Sweet!....
    God, save the South!

Nice fish! How fast were you guys trolling?
    The two best times to fish is when itís raininí and when it ainít. ĖPatrick F. McManus

I think they go 9-10knts on the way out on that boat. It is kind of fast but with spoons it is not too bad. And they don't slow down for you to reel them in, unless you had something really big then they would, so that adds to the challenge. We lost several mackeral because the spoons pulled through their mouths from reeling the fish through the fast water. We actually thought the Kingfish was a bonito until it got closer to the boat.