Advice for 1st trip to ML

Florida Sportsman

Advice for 1st trip to ML

I've driven up there and scouted ramps in the daylight, any suggestions? I've got a 16' flats w/50 hp and was thinking of putting in at the Biolab ramp, the channel out of there looked pretty well marked from land.

What are the major do's and dont's when fishing ML?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Senior Member designated_hitter's Avatar
    Go online and read the rules and regulations. Make sure you have all required docs (license, parking pass). Go slow, it can get very shallow very quick. Maybe go on a weekday first. Enjoy.

all good advice^
    lock up your vehicle, and don't leave any valuables. I havn't been in a few months but i know there was a number of break-ins at the ramps.
    Take it pretty slow your first few times, there are bars that may be hidden inches under the water.. google earth can show you some of these. Have fun the fish are a biting.

What they said, here is the 2012 merritt island fishing permit http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/FishRegs2012.pdf
    Just go slow while fishing and try not to use a trolling motor. chances are some other boat will motor right up on top of you, cut you off, and spook every fish within a quarter mile then flip you off when you ask what their problem is - the mosquito lagoon is famous after all. So try not to get too frustrated with the other "anglers" and going on a weekday would definitely make it feel a little bit less like disney world. Biolab is a good place to launch and google earth is a great way to get an idea of what direction to head for fish. Good luck!

thank you for all the information.

Check your PMs and where you coming from?