Home made Mako T Top

Florida Sportsman

Home made Mako T Top

My brother in law is getting wrapped up on his first T Top project. He made the top, welded all the joints and all the pipe bends. Lookin for
    some feedback.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   photo (1).jpg   photo (3).jpg  

I think it looks great. The top is huge!

Does he do side jobs? I need a t-top for my 24CC to replace the roll bar.

Pipes look really good. I'd be a bit worried about that top becoming a sail though.

yeah......Believe it or not it as bigger than that!! He cut it back. We share your concerns....

I'd be worried about the top too, might want to make some sort of brace along the sides to the front. The bends by the seat look cool though.

Banned
    Looks good, your going to need some undercarrage support pipe from rear legs to rear bar as well as front bar to front legs.
    Your older mako affords support from the wibdsheild rail rather than cross bracing. Due to the front
    Access door. Good luck. What is the parimeter pipe made from. Diameter ?

Pipe work looks OK. Top looks terrible. Sorry if that sounds harsh. The lines and proportions make or break the look of a T-Top. Way too much top in front of the console. Good luck with the rest of the project.

what are your main concerns with the top mako? We are not done yet, maybe your input could help us make the right changes......

Quote Originally Posted by gatonegro View Post
    what are your main concerns with the top mako? We are not done yet, maybe your input could help us make the right changes......
    Mainly proportions. In front of the console take a plumb bob and find the point where the top would be directly even with the edge of the seat on the front of the console. I wouldn't have the top go much more forward of that point than that a few inches at most. Do the same on the back going down to the back of your leaning post....same thing here, I wouldn't go but a couple of inches past that point. For width I'd find the point about half to a third way between the outside gunnel edge and the console. Those would be some general guidelines to get the proportions. I'd also suggest molding in a slight curve into the hard top.

The lines on the pipe work look good. My only concern with the pipe work is the bends on the front legs. I admire the bends but my concern would be that they would create a spring-like effect compared to a strait leg to the floor. That can be overcome with a couple of attachment points to the console.

Hope my constructive criticism helps out. Best of luck with the rest of the project.
    Last edited by 1982mako224; 04-06-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Those are some good tips Mako....We had the same thoughts about the front pipes. He is making some supports to reach fro the bend to the stringers to prevent
    that.