Corn in chum - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corn in chum

Why would the corn kill the fish? That makes no sense, they would just pass it through their digestive system like anything else they eat that is not digestible. Can someone show me the regulations that say chumming for fish with corn is illegal. I have never done it but it sounds like it works.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Quote Originally Posted by gill netter View Post
    COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN WILL BE HERE FOREVER. WE WILL CONTINUE TO WORK AROUND YOUR STUPID LAWS!!!!!!!!

It's not in the regulations. Someone said someone heard it was illegal, then nobody checked the regs.

BTW, I asked an FWC officer who does saltwater work, and he looked at me like I was dumb for even asking this.

Quote Originally Posted by surfman View Post
    Why would the corn kill the fish? That makes no sense, they would just pass it through their digestive system like anything else they eat that is not digestible. Can someone show me the regulations that say chumming for fish with corn is illegal. I have never done it but it sounds like it works.
    The fish I caught was full of corn and nothing else and the corn kernals looked like they were to large to pass through its orfice, unless it can stretch a lot. Larger fish should be able to pass it with no problem, but the undersized fish I dont think could.

Oh they can stretch alot

I am sorry i just can't see corn killing a fish. I am sure the fish can poop it out okay. May have to strain a little but, I've been there too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Quote Originally Posted by gill netter View Post
    COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN WILL BE HERE FOREVER. WE WILL CONTINUE TO WORK AROUND YOUR STUPID LAWS!!!!!!!!

I wrote to ask fwc and ask them, this is the response I got back.

FWC has no regulations with regard to the use of corn as a chum ingredient. I am a bit surprised to hear that the snapper actually consumed the corn as this would certainly not be a part of their normal diet. Did this happen on April 1st? It seems like a lot of strange things happen on that day for some reason. Please give me a call if I can be of any further assistance. Thanks, Alan Peirce (850-617-9647

So go ahead and put corn in your chum, it really seems to work.

Cracked corn has been used for yellowtailing for years but it has lost favor here in the Keys and bait shops have stopped selling it. I too haver heard that the fish cannot digest it. Use horse feed (rolled oats, oat grits) pasta or rice instead.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.

Bream, specifically bluegills will eat it.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.

Psst......couscous

Quote Originally Posted by Cytranic View Post
    pssst....SAnd...
    Again...sand balling (a mixture of sand, oats, thawed chum) is very old school and it works very well...You make a ball and put your hooked bait inside. But this makes a big mess of you and your boat. It is felt by many here in the Keys that it is not healthy for the coral reef to have lots of sand dumped upon it. Some of the party boats would carry out 55 gallon barrels of the stuff years ago.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast