How To Remove Blue Saltwater corrosion from guides & reels..??? - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys........I'm off this AM to purchase a soft brass brush....Dock talk said to use WD-40....???
    Whatcha think on WD-40...??
    Don't put that crap on your reel. I use it to strip the grease off the internals of my reels, but beyond that it's useless. It's a de-greaser, not a lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarponator View Post
    A soak in vinegar works too.

So does hot sauce (actual hot sauce, not the over priced lubricant made by quantum).

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'DirtyCaster View Post
    So does ot sauce (actual hot sauce, not the over priced lubricant made by quantum).
    I think hot sauce works because it has a lot of vinegar in it.

I'd stard mild (vinegar, corrosion x/corrosion block) and work up (Ospho, Bar Keeper's Friend, brass brush). The screws on the Calcutta are cheap to replace so don't spend a bunch of money on stuff to fix them unless you need it for other reasons. Pay particular attention to the rollers - you might have to replace them if they are badly pitted.
    G/B/A

I like to mix vinegar and baking soda into a light paste and scrub with a toothbrush.

inox mx-3 works well.

I always use pledge. Yes pledge the furniture polish. Spray it on let it sit for a while then use a tooth brush to remove it.

Strike Hold is great at removing and preventing corrosion. it was developed for the military.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    ....Loaned my Calcutta 700 reel and 50lb class roller guide rod to a "friend" to go for a week of fun & fishing in the Keys....that was about 18 months ago and just now has my equipment been
    returned.....It is quite evident "my equipment" received zero care while gone....Now it has
    the blue corrosion on the rollers and on the screws on the Calcutta....Here is where you guys come in......Short of a trip to the tackle store for a good cleaning (which costs a zillion $$$$)...How can I remove that corrosion and make my equipment look and function like it was
    when I loaned it out....Who among us does not know to flush the equipment after a salty trip...???
    When my gold or silver spoons get oxidized, I take a toothbrush and colgate (yes toothpaste) and rub that a little bit and it cleans out the oxidation pretty well. You may want to try that and then once clean use a lubricant.

I use a toothbrush and vinegar diluted 50/50 with water, then Corrosion Block. WD is probably the worst thing you could use

I'd hit it lightly with a 403 dremel brush after a day long soak of corrosion x.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

I saw on TV that ketchup will work. Coat part for about 12 hours with ketchup, rinse off. Never tried it tho.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast