chokoloskee 3-31-12

Florida Sportsman

chokoloskee 3-31-12

went out of chokoloskee island park marina this morning and headed down the lopez river and hit the back bays with with the fly rod and the trolling motor and caught half dozen small snook. had a shot at a bigger one but he didnt want to play also saw about a 6 foot shark cruising the mangrove shoreline. after a few hours i decided to head back around rabbit key pass. by this time the wind had picked up considerably so i started throwing a 1/8 oz brown bucktail jig and picked up a couple small trout and a 20in red and then tried to fish around some oyster bars with no luck. then was headed in and was going to try one last spot jigging with a 1/4 oz chartruese bucktail in 6-8 foot of water and picked up a 25in gag season opens tomorrow though and i know where he lives and i'll be back and i told him that right before i released him.

NICE FISH, I WAS OUT ON FRIDAY AND CAUGHT FOUR REDS, SOME NICE SIZE SEATROUT BETWEEN 18IN TO 24 IN. LOST ONE NICE SNOOK TO A BAD KNOT.

Gags don't actually open for another few months. Regs have changed. Only reds/blacks/other-non-gag-or-jew groupers opened 4/1.

you are correct thanks for the heads up they open in july. and if i'm reading it correctly we can keep 2 when it opens.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnookMagnet View Post
    Gags don't actually open for another few months. Regs have changed. Only reds/blacks/other-non-gag-or-jew groupers opened 4/1.

Nice lookin Red! And I have to say that is one of the prettiest Gag's I've ever seen Fun to catch even when they're not season!