Kingfishing is Really Good

Florida Sportsman

Kingfishing is Really Good

Fished in the Venice Indians Grand Slam Fishing Tournament today and based on the weather and marine forecast decided to strictly target Kings. Other categories included inshore (redfish and trout), snapper and Wildcard, but decided our best bet would be Kings.

After spending the better part of 4 hours yesterday cast-netting mullet, we had a few decent baits in the baitwell for the ride out.

My buddy Kirk did an outstanding job on the rod when the fish hit, landing this 37.2 lb King to secure our first place win in the Kingfish division.

We caught 5 kingfish in the 25- 30 lb class, all on bigger live baits (slow-trolling). There was no signs of life out there, other than some bait pods holding at about 40 feet. Most of the kings came off the downrigger, except the winner, which ate a swimming mullet off an outrigger. All fish were caught in 75 ft of water. Steady action all day.

A little bumpy, but a great day on the water !
    K

Nice king! Way to go!

Kick @ss
    My second (wife)... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).

Great job that must have been a screaming reel you were holding. A lot of that size are lost if the crew is top notch.
    larrywitt