Costa Del Mar

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Costa Del Mar

Costa Del Mar

So I have been fishing Florida for about 10 years now and have alway gone with cheap polarized sunglasses. A friend of mine finally convinced me to buy into a quality pair and I went with Costa's. I fell in love with these shades and wore the for everything from fishing, to hunting, to daily driving and more. I even convinced some mutual friends (hunters, fishermen, biologists, surveyors, etc.) to trade up to Costa's. Recently my Costa Del Mar Maya 11's with the 580 lenses met with an unfortunate fate and the arms broke off. Thank goodness for that Lifetime Waranty, or so I thought. After dropping $50 for repairs and $10 for shipping, my Maya's were returned to me. Upon inspection they looked very different. They fit MUCH narrower and had a different hinge. They were so narrow that this new hinge cut into the sides of my temples. On top of that, they had a stress fracture under the left lense, the lense had some small nicks in it, and one of the hinges was defected! I was shocked and pretty upset. I called Costa and told them all of the shortcomings. I had to send them back in, and when I got them back, the frame style was still completely different and too narrow for my face! Costa was nice enough to refund the cost of the repairs...

Here are the issues that bother me the most:
    1. Upon inquiring at both Bass Pro and Gander Mountain, I was told that Costa Del Mar had changed several styles of frames to accomodate a stronger hinge. The Rep from Costa told me both over the phone and in an e-mail that they had not changed and was a little condescending over the phone.

2. If you do change a product like that, why not let me know before going through the repairs??? I would have rather super-glued my Maya's back together than had Costa "fix" them!

3. I don't make a lot of money and good sunglasses aren't cheap. I tried on almost every pair Costa Del Mar makes before deciding on the Maya's and I opted for the higher quality lenses. Retailing at around $240, this was a moderate investment that no longer serves me any purpose.

My Costa's are too small for me... Too small for my little brother... and now belong to my sister in law who is #100 soaking wet. Costa has lost a big supporter and I am now open to suggestion for new shades. Will most likely go with Smith Optics or Maui Jim but am open to suggestions if anyone has any!

I used to be a major fan of Costa too; however, they've since changed their old warranty program of "replacement for free, no questions asked" if something breaks, all I had to pay for was shipment to send it in. Now repairs/replacement + shipping cost almost as much as a new set of glasses. The whole point for me to spend $200+ on a set of glasses in the first place was to never have to worry if they ever broke. So much for that!

I've since switched to guidelines: http://guidelinedirect.com/. As good as any costas I've owned or better for half the price!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Yaksquatch View Post
    I used to be a major fan of Costa too; however, they've since changed their old warranty program of "replacement for free, no questions asked" if something breaks, all I had to pay for was shipment to send it in. Now repairs/replacement + shipping cost almost as much as a new set of glasses. The whole point for me to spend $200+ on a set of glasses in the first place was to never have to worry if they ever broke. So much for that!

I've since switched to guidelines: http://guidelinedirect.com/. As good as any costas I've owned or better for half the price!

Alex
    Their half the price because they are costa knockoffs

Smiths.....Been wearing them for years....Awesome lifetime warranty, if the style you wear is no longer available, they will replace them with whatever you want (no upgrade charges). I really like the photochromatic (sp) copper lens for inshore, and the blue lens for beach\casual wear.

I bought a $60 pair from a boat show 2 years ago. Plastic lens, tortoise shell frames

If ANYTHING happens to ANY part of them, I send them back to Clearwater and get a new pair for $10 shipping.

yep, Im set for life

I was always curious compared to a pair of $10 berkleys can you actually see into the water better with the more expensive glasses, I'm 99.9% sure the answer is yes. But figured I'd ask since I've never tried any on. I don't care about clarity above water just how well they cut through the glare and into the water.

I've been wearing $20 polarized sun glasses from Wal-Mart for years. Recently talked to my eye doctor about the difference between $20 glasses and $220 glasses. He says, "first, it's about the lenses". "Glass is better than plastic and will reduce eye strain". "The rest of the money is about the warranty, research & development and advertising".

So, now I'm in the market for fishing glasses with glass lenses. I've researched Smith's and they are looking pretty good.

I'm curious how many people understand the definition and scope of a "lifetime warranty?" Is there anyone on here who thinks it's reasonable to expect a retailer or manufacturer to replace, free of charge, a pair of glasses that you sat on or sent skittering across the parking lot lens down?

copoutfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
    I'm curious how many people understand the definition and scope of a "lifetime warranty?" Is there anyone on here who thinks it's reasonable to expect a retailer or manufacturer to replace, free of charge, a pair of glasses that you sat on or sent skittering across the parking lot lens down?
    The company who honors my warranty will

no questions asked

Quote Originally Posted by rock_fish View Post
    The company who honors my warranty will

no questions asked
    Ha. Which manufacturer? Smith Optics?

copoutfishing.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast