Changing rod color

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing rod color

Got very lucky and aquired 6 St. Croix rods (very cheaply) that aren't quite the way I want them. Thinking of modifiying them just a touch.

1. Color ---If I strip them of eyelets and lightly scruff, prime with XIM spray and then a coat of Krylon (plastic)--- will the paint hold?

2. One of the rods is an 8'6" Legend Elite 2 pc and I would like make it a 7'6" would I mess it up too much if I cut off the butt section and replaced it?

Now I don't know much, But I know both of those are bad ideas. I'll leave the experts to your first question, but I know you will throw off the whole actionof the rod removing the tip. As anyone knows, once you break the tip off, even if you get it fixed...the rod is never ever as good as it once was...maybe it's because i like a fast tip, though

Butt section ---not tip

Not sure on painting as I've never done it but you can certainly cut from the butt section. You'll lose some power and slow the rod down, but you can do it.

Let the Krylon dry for a good 5 days then permaglos over it. Works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by a-salt-weapon View Post
    Let the Krylon dry for a good 5 days then permaglos over it. Works like a champ.
    Thanks --- I thought it would work, also figured that somebody else had tried this before me. Wouldn't have figured 5 days though, that isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmanwi53 View Post
    2. One of the rods is an 8'6" Legend Elite 2 pc and I would like make it a 7'6" would I mess it up too much if I cut off the butt section and replaced it?

You're going to destroy that rod. The smart thing to do would be to just sell the 400$ rod and use the money to build the rod you want.

Ok --took what Ol'DirtyCaster said to heart and instead of screwing up on one of my St. Croix's I took a 25+ year old Shakespere Tiger stick and stripped of guides and repainted shooting for a marbling effect. Learned a whole bunch of things not to do in the future.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st repaint 003.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	29424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st repaint 004.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	29425

Getting better and this is addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Gmanwi53 View Post
    Ok --took what Ol'DirtyCaster said to heart and instead of screwing up on one of my St. Croix's I took a 25+ year old Shakespere Tiger stick and stripped of guides and repainted shooting for a marbling effect. Learned a whole bunch of things not to do in the future.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st repaint 003.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	29424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st repaint 004.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	29425
    Certainly have learned a bunch the last couple of weeks---here are a couple of St. Croix SCii's ---just about willing to trust myself on my SCiii's ---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 037.jpg   017.jpg   012.jpg   033.jpg  

Nice work! Marble isnt my cup of tea but im just starting out and YES IT IS ADDICTING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast