Fishing the beach

Florida Sportsman

Fishing the beach

I am going down this week to Treasure Island for vacation and I would like to try fishing every day if possible. I just have a couple quick questions. First, is Treasure Island beach an alright place to fish or should find another stretch of beach? Also, what kind of fish should I expect to find this time of year on the beach and what presentation? I fished last year with my bass rods and just used Berkley sand fleas, a circle hook and a small sinker. I caught a ton of Ladyfish which was a blast, but I would like to be able to catch something to eat as well. Thank you for the help.
    Mike

Senior Member Indian River Joel's Avatar
    I am from the other side of the state, so I may not be the best person to answer this question but.... Alot of the beaches over there are over crowded with people so you need to get out early. I have had some success over near johns pass. That seems to be alot less crowded than the other beaches (at least when I went). There are alot of small sharks, whiting, pompano, and the occasional snook caught over there.

If youre not absolutely sold on surf fishing, I'd recommend checking out Weedon Island preserve or Ft. Desoto. There is great inshore fishing over there. Ft. Desoto has beach access as well, but I am not sure how crowded it is because I have only fished the bay side when I have been over there.
    "Indian River" Joel
    www.wadefishingflorida.com
    321-402-9881

Thanks for the reply Joel. I tried Ft. Desoto last year and caught a few fish in a rented kayak and I might try it again. But I think I will give surf fishing a try.

Freeline some live shrimp or if you can get some whitebait that is even better. The locals here call them "greenbacks". 2o pound fluorocarbon leader and a small circle hook. You should catch some big trout and you may even hook into a redfish or two on that beach. Great eating fish.... just make sure you check the regulations before keeping anything.
    Good Luck!