Need ram ficht help bad!!

Florida Sportsman

Need ram ficht help bad!!

So I guess ram fichts leaking oil is a common issue but this oil leak is driving me crazy. I just really want to find the correct anwser and that seems to be left unsaid in the other posts on this issue. After a few expensive trips to the 'rude dealer and reading about this Im starting to think im going to have to live with it. I recently bought a boat with twin 2003 BRP 200s. The Port motor is bone dry but the starboard motor pukes used black oil out of the midsection/ lowerunit gap and leaks XD50 out of the throttle bodys and down the midsection while sitting. Plus the leaking motor uses way more oil and smokes apon acceleration . The motors run flawless and only have 215 hours on them. The first time I took it in for this problem I was told that compression, lift pumps, injectors ect where all fine but the reason the star motor was leaking was due to a reed valve problem in the port motor. Causing the star to be over worked. It was repaired and I took it out that weekend and put 140 miles on the boat to find it leaking again. Took it back and was told the oil return line was restricted. Took boat out and again still not fixed. Then they said the 90 degree elbow on the oil tank return was clogged. Was repaired and after running it this weekend still leaking. I didnt bother going back beacuse the dealer then said this was normal operation and to forget about it. After calling around to some other dealers in south florida everyone keeps saying this is normal?

I understand that these motors do leak the xd50 from the throttle body shafts and I can live with this, but this black discharge from the mid section shows something is causing eather a build up of unburned oil due to some short of oiling problem or a restriction . I pulled the return line off of the tank and made sure I am getting return oil flow, my vent line on my air box is not kinked or blocked. I ordered the oil pressure regulator on the oil return line today to see if any change. If none I'll probly replace my lift pump as well.

Also I called and talked to someone at DFI in Alabama (extremely helpful guy) who is the first person to agree that something's for sure wrong. He advised me to take my boat to a dealer called bluewater boats in Daytona which Ill probly do soon I'f I can't figure this out. I just hate to have to drive the 3 hours up to them but DFI said they're hands down the best. Does anyone have any advice or know a good evinrude dealer with Ficht experience?

It looks like you may have 2 problems. The one photo shows new oil leaking down from the powerhead area and that has to be identified and fixed ASAP. The black oil seeping from the gearcase mounting area is burned oil and soot from the exaust area. That may be caused by an check valve malfunction inside the oil injector, a stuck oil pressure regulator, kinked or restricted oil return hose, or leaking pump diaphragm.

If you are south of Daytona, save yourself some driving timeand contact Beach Marine in Port Canaveral. Bluewater Boat's long time mechanic left recently. They say he retired.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

The xd50 is building up in the throttle body's and leaks out of the throttle plate shafts and runs down the lower plastic skirt. It's not coming from any of the cylinder injectors or lines. I can run the motor with the covers off and watch it drip.

How can I inspect or test the diaphragm for the oil pump? Also is there a 7th injector that oils the crank? Is that the injector you said could be sticking?

I'm located in west palm beach so canevral is about 130 miles north. Do you know of any good dealers down here?

A highly recommended shop and tech in your area is Rick at Precision outboard in Delray Beach

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

I'd unhook oil injection system and premix oil and that will probably fix it, does it smoke excessively looks like a hell of a lot oil being dumped through engine?

Quote Originally Posted by gregb View Post
    I'd unhook oil injection system and premix oil and that will probably fix it, does it smoke excessively looks like a hell of a lot oil being dumped through engine?
    This is a direct oil injection motor that you can't unhook the system.

john at beach marine in port canaveral is by far the best for evenrude you will be happy you did

John at Beach Marine at Port Canaveral is our Evinrude mechanic and is GREAT!!! 321-783-1457. He is there 6 days and often 7 days!!

Also, if you need oil pumps or any related FICHT parts contact me or look at our ad on H ull T ruth under 2002 225 FICHT parts. We have alot of parts and experience with the 225 and 250's.
    Bad Fish Must Die!!

meh...sorry...just saw you were in west palm...thought you were closer to jax.

if there is a problem to be had with these ficht motors...ive had it (on both of mine)...cept this one...and my fingers are crossed!