Panama City - Sheepshead and ling search - Sunday 3/25

Florida Sportsman

Panama City - Sheepshead and ling search - Sunday 3/25

Well, we got away fromt he dock at a decent hour and we were the second boat to get to my favorite area of the jetties for sheepshead. Not only was there only one other boat nearby, but my exact spot was open and tide was doing exactly what I wanted it to do.

We anchored perfectly and in short order had blazed through our live shrimp and had 16 sheepshead in the boat.

We also got instsant bull red hook ups on live chofers. After releasing two, I quit putting chofers on the bottom and repeatedly fan casted one across the current about 8' underneath a cork and hooked in the tail. We were right in the tide line and I figured a cobia could be near by an might hear that tail hooked chofer tring to dig against that cork. Nothing tht could be confirmed on the ling front, but something (i'm guessing probably a king, but could have been a cobia... you never know. It was certainly NOT a spanih) did hammer my chofer. I saw a huge boil (which makes me think more cobia than king) next to my cork. The rod was in the rold holder. It doubles over for a second, cork goes under and then slack. I reeld it in and right beneath the cork the 60# mono has been sliced... little curly cuues... I'm guessing that when that cork went under, a spanish went after it and severed my connection to whatever was on the other end. I guess we use baloons next time.

After that we did some cobia searching, but it was pretty snotty out and standing on the roof was tough. Pretty sure we saw one fish, but it was in some pretty sorry water and we rode right up on top of him. I fumbled for the rod, about fell off the roof, finally got situated for a cast and couldn't find him. We circled back... nothing. Went ever farther west and sat and watched or a while to see if he popped up down the beach... nothing. He was a good sized fish adn was eaded the right direction (but bucking the wave action) and angling towards hill from offshore.

After that we came on home. Pretty far into the bay we saw a pretty large king (20#s) sky rocketing 5 or 6 times. Pretty neat. Not sure if he was on bait or if a dolphin was on him, but that may have been the first time I've ever seen that way inside the bay.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Panhandler, Great catch and sounds like a great day. My son and I got over to the jetties about 9AM and there were probably four boats off or in the kiddie pool. We managed to get anchored without encroaching on anyones fishing area. We had fiddlers and fresh dead shrimp and couldn't catch much at all. We saw about four sheephead caught and the best part of the morning was that a family with small children was fishing inside right off the single rock that sticks up from the submerged rock and their son who looked to be five or six caught three slot sized redfish and the only help he got was the father netting the fish. He had a remember forever kind of day. We ended up with a nice flounder, two large white grunts, amd two spanish. Lost and over slot redfish near the boat, just as well that we didn't have to boat him for the release. We usually do pretty well at catching sheephead and redfish, just couldn't seem to do much good. I was in the Mystic Shaman and am guessing that we saw you catch your last two sheephead before you left. Just shows you what a difference a few hours can make. We stayed till about 1230 then headed back to the city marina. The wind really got up about 1PM and I was glad that we got back before that. See you on the water.

FLCoyote

If you were at the kiddie pool, I don't think you saw me at all. We were also done with the pass by probably 9:15.

????

Nice mess of Sheepies!

Thanks! They were tasty too...

Pork Rind encrusted sheepshead loins essentially deep fried in olive oil, served over rice and toppped with sauce (butter, fresh lemon, capers, white wine, salt, pepper).

Pretty tasty...

Damn pics don't show up anymore.

yeah, I went over my photobucket bandwith earlier this month. Now, they want $. I have a few pics I'd like to post over on the Kitchen Forum, so I may do a one time shot to get things back online.