3/22 Miss Cape Canaveral out of PC

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3/22 Miss Cape Canaveral out of PC

I had a groupon deal for a full day trip out of Port Canaveral.. I quit party boats a few
    years ago because I never seem to catch anything worthwhile, and this
    trip was no different. The deck hand crew was great considering it was only
    two guys for over 60 anglers. If we had come across a decent bite, I
    doubt they could have kept up.

The catch for a full day with 60+
    lines in the water? One doormat flounder caught in the first 10 minutes of lines
    down.Two undersized grouper that I saw. One small kingfish which we
    had to stop the boat for. One peanut dolphin which we also stopped
    the boat for. About 10 ribbon fish, and countless sub-12" sea bass,
    grunts and sailors choice. I did catch my share of the nuisance
    fish, but also pitched in as the de-hooker and de-tangler for my
    neighbors, a nice mother and son from Apopka. I provided more
    service to them than the crew did.

This was a days vacation and $55 I won't get back.

The boat was crowded because the previous day's trip was aborted due
    to rough seas and a passenger injury. So half of my co-anglers were
    on a rain check

The other reason I quit patronizing head boats was that I learned first hand that a certain
    number of anglers on board are not paying passengers and have a deal to
    split any money fish they bring up with the boat. These quiet partners seem to get some
    preference over paying passengers.

Yea, sucks. I feel you. Get what you pay for :/

Professional Wedding Videographer https://www.facebook.com/AndrewPlanetaCinematography

im sorry you feel that way about party boats. if you should happen to try ONE MORE time please try the sea spirit in ponce inlet fla. my opinion , the best on the east central coast. they treat you with respect .weither you are new to offshore or seasoned as some us are. these guys put you on the fish BUT cannot make them bite. the trip is very enjoyable and you ARE treated as if you are one of the crew. and if you go tell capt mike mullholland or capt leebo that mango mike sent you.

There are some real A$$ holes on that boat, but some of the deck hands are good guys.

And I know exactly what you are talking about with the "Non-paying" anglers. Pissed me off when I went.

On the side note, The Orlando Princess fleet is MUCH friendlier and helpful. For around $50 full day (groupon) it isn't horrible. Especially if you catch your own bait. It's better than not fishing at all in my eyes.

Also heard good things about the Obsession, but I haven't been on it before.

That boat's a cattle barge who makes money by lining the rails with unsuspecting tourists. Listen to Mango Mike or try the Ocean Obsession.

Ouch, that hurts, sorry to hear that.

Try Capt lew out of Hiram's. They just moved from ft pierce. They are meat fishers not tourist babysitters.
    Brad
    It's a good day.

My one trick IF you are gonna go on a party boat.
    Don't use their hooks. Go buy some size 10 hooks and take a few yards of 10-20lbs mono. Target the smaller desired species. I figured that out after watching pier fishermen.
    I was forced to go on a party boat by the people I went to the Keys with, so I stopped by K-mart and got the hooks and line.
    The four of us caught more yellowtail snapper than the rest of the boat combined (30-40 people).
    Those big dull hooks save alot of fish's lives.

Thanks for the tips and references. I have no complaints about the guys in the MCC crew, they were cheerful and helpful, there just weren't enough of them for 60 passengers.

I'd like to know if my bottom fishing track record is pure bad luck. In my lifetime total of 6-7 trips, the only keeper dinner fish I've ever caught was a 22lb cobe on my first ever head boat in about 1988. I've also been on two offshore trolling trips out of sebastian in the last year, and the total boat take for both trips was one 24" dolphin, and a boarding by homeland security. Call me mr. jinx?

Frisbee: I did get a bucketload of yellowtail 5 years ago on a half day down in the keys. But none were big, and it wasn't on the bottom. I snagged a prime location in the corner of the stern.

Another question: would live mullet and cut jumbo shrimp be productive bottom baits? I've never seen either on an offshore boat.

Bob

I usually bring my inshore rod and use a Sabiki rig out there. When you are on the reef, you don't even need any bait and the hooks fill up in a minute or two with good bait fish. I generally get better results from that.

But there has been days when I didn't get any bites from live bait and my frozen sardines (Not the ones they provide) gave much better results.

In general, I'm not a big fan of bottom fishing though. If you ever give it a chance again, try taking one of your rod and reels and use a float line (with wire leader) with a frozen sardine or live bait. You can get a few kings that way. Also pay the extra money to get a stern spot.

Quote Originally Posted by baribob View Post
    Thanks for the tips and references. I have no complaints about the guys in the MCC crew, they were cheerful and helpful, there just weren't enough of them for 60 passengers.

I'd like to know if my bottom fishing track record is pure bad luck. In my lifetime total of 6-7 trips, the only keeper dinner fish I've ever caught was a 22lb cobe on my first ever head boat in about 1988. I've also been on two offshore trolling trips out of sebastian in the last year, and the total boat take for both trips was one 24" dolphin, and a boarding by homeland security. Call me mr. jinx?

Frisbee: I did get a bucketload of yellowtail 5 years ago on a half day down in the keys. But none were big, and it wasn't on the bottom. I snagged a prime location in the corner of the stern.

Another question: would live mullet and cut jumbo shrimp be productive bottom baits? I've never seen either on an offshore boat.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast