Spring Turkey: Second attempt this year, and really second attempt ever... SUCCESS! - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Congrats PH! Way to stick with it and get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by surfman View Post
    Nice job but man that is a lot of work for a bind. All I do is use one of those quick ground blinds that is basically a 3' x 12' camo cloth with some stakes in it. Takes seconds to set up and birds don't seem to care. I only use that to hide any movement I may be making with my hands while calling. Great bird!
    Yeah, I hear ya. Problem was the decision to set up no two different spots was very last minute and the only time I was going to have (after a long lunch to check on woods friday at noon) to locate material was going to be in dark Sat morn, SO... brush blind it was. It was kind of fun, too! It's been a long long time since i built a "fort" in the woods.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

I personally think building a "fort" blind, is one of the pleasures of turkey hunting. Building blinds takes me back to a time long ago when turkey hunters always built blinds out of palmetto fronds. I also used to build them at a small property I had permission to hunt before tent blinds became in vogue. Before I learned that turkeys couldn't care less about what kind of blind you use, I always felt more confident being covered by natural foliage.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

Well, I leanred something else yesterday... one turkey breast makes WAY more turkey nuggets than two people have any business trying to eat. It was certainly fun and tasty to try, though!

PH80. really?.... All those great photos and not a one of you in a bathing suit with hat, long sleeve, gloves and mask? That's just wrong!

Great report!

Quote Originally Posted by woods lover View Post
    PH80. really?.... All those great photos and not a one of you in a bathing suit with hat, long sleeve, gloves and mask? That's just wrong!

Great report!
    Sounds like you two have some history...

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music! Lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by flydown View Post
    Sounds like you two have some history...

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music! Lol!!
    As a female, I should be allowed to ask for specific photos! I'm pretty sure PH80 is married, what I want to know, does his wife know how he was dressed? LOL. Or maybe she's so proud he finally got him a bird that she doesn't care!

No matter, that's a beautiful bird! And great photos!

Hey, I can't say much about the blind though you are one up on me so far this year! Yea, I usually get 4 meals out of one bird breast, unless you want to eat a lot of meat supplement the meat with other stuff like veggies and you can stretch it out for a while. Did you save the legs? Most people toss them. I like them. I put them in a crock pot and cook them for a long time then debone/tendon them and make a stew. I like it better than the breast meat. mmmm.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    Quote Originally Posted by gill netter View Post
    COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN WILL BE HERE FOREVER. WE WILL CONTINUE TO WORK AROUND YOUR STUPID LAWS!!!!!!!!

On a different forum I posted this what's below. Should answer your question about the dark meat.

On the dark meat... I know a lot of folks don't eat it, but I hate wasting meat, especially when you consider how little you really get off a turkey anyway in terms of lb / unit of effot (compared to deer, or a hog for example).

Anyway, I took the wing, thigh and leg mean and considered crock potting it all bone-in. Was not really an option because I'm leaving town tomorrow and don't have time to cook each night tonight and I'm virtually OUT of freezer space. So, I just spent about 45 minutes and cut little bight size pieces off from here and there.

I was thinking crock pot with some onion, celery and spices and then serve either over yellow rice

Not sure if I'm going to traditional "Chicken and yellow rice", or Cuban style (black beans, sour cream, cilantro,), or maybe Spanish (green olives, stewed tomatos).

Anway, you guys think that dark meat will be okay after all day in the crock pot with salt, pepper, celery, onion, garlic, touch of olive oil, paprika... and served over rice? My gut tells me it's going to be JUST FINE, but I'm curious to hear what yall think. I probably have 2 pounds of it off the bone and tendon / connective tissue / skin free, so it's defiitely a meal worth!

PH80

PH...
    The legs do just fine in a crock pot. I have cooked them that way, as well as put them in a smoker. Like You, I take the time to remove all the tendon and connective tissue. But it's worth the effort if you have time to cook them slow and low.

Another way they are edible is to can them. When we hunt up in Missouri, we give all our legs to one of the farmers wives and she cans them and makes barbeque out of them. I was very skeptical at first, but after trying it, I have to say it is dang good!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast