Snook, Cobia, Reds, sheepshead and Trout...Ya got to love spring - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    Nonsense nonsense nonsense anyone who fishes and has a lick of sense knows that a 15 inch trout is a breeder fish just as much as a 25 inch trout. Every 15,16, and 17 inch trout you keep will be full of eggs during spawning season just like a fish over 20 inchs. If you are really concerned with catching bigger fish #1 STOP KEEPING ALL THE 15 INCHERS!!!! let the small fish reproduce and keep all the big fish.#2 do something different because they are all over out there! That 25 inch trout has probably bread at least a dozen times! KEEP the dang fish and fry him up for God's sake. Stupid comments like this on a public forum is why we can only keep one redfish, one trout over 20 and NO grouper and snapper even though they are everywhere. The same yahoo Yankees that are crying let your keepers go are the same ones that are crying when the fishing regulation are over bearing when the government shuts down the fishing and says you can't keep grouper, snapper, trout or whatever else they decide to tell us we can't keep. This is why the forum is dwindling down to nothing. You can't jump on someone every time they keep a 25 inch trout that's absolutely ridicules. Jump on someone when they break the law not for keeping his one dog gone fish he is allowed to keep over 20 inches. I used to post on here when I had my other user name before the forum got all switched around and this is one reason I don't post anymore. Telling someone to throw a 25 inch trout back because it's a breeder is nonsense. You throw your keepers back and let everyone else keep theirs. Nice fish Jim and good job! please keep posting I love seeing good reports and quality fish. By the way too bad you couldn't have kept a few of those endangered snook.
    Seems your a little more than upset by my opinion on keepin large trout bigjohn, but I respect your right to speak here as everyone does! You are so right about every 15, 16 & 17" trout being breeder fish and also that there are a lot of them out there!! Hell I catch a whole lot more trout under 17" than over 17"! I often ask myself where are all the 15" trout I caught 2 or 3 years ago, surely they all haven't been caught?? Maybe it just might have something to do with the trout's gene pool? Maybe since the larger trout have been kept for so long around here the "fast growing" genes of the Gators are not as prevelant as they once were? I once saw Mark Nixchols (Founder & Qwner of DOA Lures) talk about this very subject about his home waters near Stuart Fl. (Where most of the seatrout world records were caught!) He said it was imperative that we take care of these giant fish as to not loose their gene pool for ever! Now I don't claim to be the smartest fish in the school but I think Mark knew what he was talking about!
    As far as the redfish go bigjohn, they have changed the limit, you can now keep two in the slot! Maybe the reason there are so many reds around now just might have something to do w/ the strict limits that have been on them so long> I duno cause evan though I've lived in the South for more than 33 years (Texas before Fla.) I guess I'm still just a stupid-nonutin-yahoo-cryin-yankee!! Oh sorry about the name callin, I wouldn't call anyone else here names but maybe it's ok to call myself name??
    Oh sorry for jumpin all over you Jim, I really didn't think I was> Keep up the great work, love your posts & photos!!!
    I am what I am and thats all that I am!! > Popeye!

Bigjohn welcome! Not a great comming out for a newbie though.
    Pete's point is still a valid conviction and letting a trophy fish go is ALWAYS a good thing. Not that every one needs to be tossed back and we all know JHimmy rarely fishes for trout so he wont have any impact. But it is a proven fact that allowing the truly large fish remain in the gene pool is just a good prudent thing to do. A quick look at how the salmon fishery turned weak as we thought we could stock our way to a strong fishery is a lesson learned about strong genes, survival of the fittest and natural selection. Just because a fish can lay eggs doesn't mean it is a good breeder. The larger older fish that have bred several times are the stronger of the species.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

At the risk of opening up a "can o worms" Our "all knowing" FWC just opened up the limits of trout, and reds a little, and gave our commercial
    brothers a much bigger allotment of trout. And almost gave them back some nets. I say take what you want, and enjoy! Until the FWC issues more
    common sense in thier regulations! I know its a poor way of looking at it, but the end might justify the means.

Senior Member jimsfishingobsession's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TKAug76 View Post
    Is this Crystal River you're referring to? Just wondering thanks, and great catches!
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbaswolf View Post
    Taking one fish over the slot should not be questioned. I know I don't get to fish this area as much as most of you, but it sure seems to have a healthy and growing trout fishery.
    I agree with that. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    Nonsense nonsense nonsense anyone who fishes and has a lick of sense knows that a 15 inch trout is a breeder fish just as much as a 25 inch trout. Every 15,16, and 17 inch trout you keep will be full of eggs during spawning season just like a fish over 20 inchs. If you are really concerned with catching bigger fish #1 STOP KEEPING ALL THE 15 INCHERS!!!! let the small fish reproduce and keep all the big fish.#2 do something different because they are all over out there! That 25 inch trout has probably bread at least a dozen times! KEEP the dang fish and fry him up for God's sake. Stupid comments like this on a public forum is why we can only keep one redfish, one trout over 20 and NO grouper and snapper even though they are everywhere. The same yahoo Yankees that are crying let your keepers go are the same ones that are crying when the fishing regulation are over bearing when the government shuts down the fishing and says you can't keep grouper, snapper, trout or whatever else they decide to tell us we can't keep. This is why the forum is dwindling down to nothing. You can't jump on someone every time they keep a 25 inch trout that's absolutely ridicules. Jump on someone when they break the law not for keeping his one dog gone fish he is allowed to keep over 20 inches. I used to post on here when I had my other user name before the forum got all switched around and this is one reason I don't post anymore. Telling someone to throw a 25 inch trout back because it's a breeder is nonsense. You throw your keepers back and let everyone else keep theirs. Nice fish Jim and good job! please keep posting I love seeing good reports and quality fish. By the way too bad you couldn't have kept a few of those endangered snook.
    I just got back from cocoa today and I see you guys have been having fun with my thread lol. bigjohn that was a little harsh but I have to say that I agree with everything you said except for the rude comments but Please for my sake drop it. Snookspanker and troutman keep 50 trout a week if you want or let them all go it doesn't bother me either way. I know you're not jumping on me for keeping a 25 inch trout so let's forget it and keep putting up great post on this great forum. :full

WEll said Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsfishingobsession View Post
    yes
    I agree with that. thanks

I just got back from cocoa today and I see you guys have been having fun with my thread lol. bigjohn that was a little harsh but I have to say that I agree with everything you said except for the rude comments but Please for my sake drop it. Snookspanker and troutman keep 50 trout a week if you want or let them all go it doesn't bother me either way. I know you're not jumping on me for keeping a 25 inch trout so let's forget it and keep putting up great post on this great forum. :full
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Nice catches as usually Capt. Jimmy. Did you get a new boat or were you out with someone?

Senior Member jimsfishingobsession's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by csanders View Post
    Nice catches as usually Capt. Jimmy. Did you get a new boat or were you out with someone?
    My buddy lets me use his boat whenever I want since I got him a free power pole from my sponsor, so it's my friends boat but he almost never goes with me when I use it. Actually he has never fished with me out of his new boat yet lol. I'm sure I'll get him out with me soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123