Snook, Cobia, Reds, sheepshead and Trout...Ya got to love spring - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    nice pics

Quote Originally Posted by jimsfishingobsession View Post
    not bad, but he sure fried up good. I feel bad for the trout and reds because they'll be having more people fishing for them since we can't keep much offshore.
    At risk of being banned from the forum for asking it's favorite son this, but I have to> Capt. Jimmy, with all the fish you catch and shoot you have to eat, why did you have to fry a 25" trout instead of letting it go?? Please disregard if the fish was gut hooked or bleeding and gonna die anyway!!!!!
    I am what I am and thats all that I am!! > Popeye!

Senior Member jimsfishingobsession's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Spanker View Post
    At risk of being banned from the forum for asking it's favorite son this, but I have to> Capt. Jimmy, with all the fish you catch and shoot you have to eat, why did you have to fry a 25" trout instead of letting it go?? Please disregard if the fish was gut hooked or bleeding and gonna die anyway!!!!!
    Snook spanker you're fine for asking man, you won't upset me you're a cool dude. I kept the 25 inch trout for the same reason everyone else does to eat it and because it tastes good. I don't target trout very often but when I do, I eat them. That's about the only reason for me to trout fish. I never keep snook even on the east coast where you can keep them and I very rarely keep redfish even though I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping your limit of fish but when it comes to trout, grouper, snapper cobia and stuff like that they come home for dinner for sure. I'm also not like most people that keep a freezer full of fish I eat fish at least 5 days a week when I have it. I love to eat it and the people I fish with eat it and take it to their family too. It doesn't go to waste or sit in the freezer for 6 months or a year like deer does. hope you understand

Snook spanker you're fine for asking man, you won't upset me you're a cool dude. I kept the 25 inch trout for the same reason everyone else does to eat it and because it tastes good. I don't target trout very often but when I do, I eat them. That's about the only reason for me to trout fish. I never keep snook even on the east coast where you can keep them and I very rarely keep redfish even though I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping your limit of fish but when it comes to trout, grouper, snapper cobia and stuff like that they come home for dinner for sure. I'm also not like most people that keep a freezer full of fish I eat fish at least 5 days a week when I have it. I love to eat it and the people I fish with eat it and take it to their family too. It doesn't go to waste or sit in the freezer for 6 months or a year like deer does. hope you understand
    Capt. Jimmy, You have every legal right to keep and eat a 25" trout as does as you say "everyone else who does"! Maybe I'm outa line I duno but I don't keep any large breeder size trout when the smaller ones taste better anyway! I've only caught a couple gator trout since living here in the Big Bend (and let them go!) but back when I lived on the S.E. Coast I spent a lot of time in the Stuart / Jenson Bch. area fishing. We used to catch some really big trout there and over the 26 year period I fished there the number of large trout caught dropped dramaticly w/ more people moving in and keeping the trophy size trout to eat or get stuffed! From what I understand, more trout here are getting to trophy size now than they have in a long time. Now w/ the commercial guys taking more trout w/ longer seasons and more and more trout are being takin by the recreational fisherman, I think it's evan more important that we Forum members try to teach others how special a gator trout is!! (If as many people are reading us Big Benders as they say are??)
    Again, I may be outa line but this is my opinion and I feel very strongly about it!! The way I'm going, I may not be around to fish w/ my grandchildren but I pray that if I ever have any that they will become fishers and that there will be plenty of GATOR trout arond for them to catch!!!!!
    I am what I am and thats all that I am!! > Popeye!

Snooky you are right about not being able to catch many really large trout here . I almost always toss back the large guys since they are our future. Jimmy rarely fishes for trout so I doubt him keeping a breeder or two would make much difference. I am however happy to see more folks understand that it's a good policy to let the gators go. I had a disscussion with Capt. Mike Locklear about this a couple of years ago and he is a big advocate of tossing back the bigguns. He and his family have guided out of Homosassa for many years. He remembers the time the truly large trout (25"+) were more plentiful. We never had the 30+ inchers here like the east coast. On a good note over the past 2 years we have had good numbers of overslot trout around and available often. The constant factor present when we have large declines in the population of a inshore fishery is the allowance of comercial netting. I eat trout a couple times a week but I try to also eat reef fish once a week as well but I do go to the freezer for the reef fish. The botton line is let the overslot fish go and kill the 17"ers they are abundant and excellent table fare.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Quote Originally Posted by troutman57 View Post
    Snooky you are right about not being able to catch many really large trout here . I almost always toss back the large guys since they are our future. Jimmy rarely fishes for trout so I doubt him keeping a breeder or two would make much difference. I am however happy to see more folks understand that it's a good policy to let the gators go. I had a disscussion with Capt. Mike Locklear about this a couple of years ago and he is a big advocate of tossing back the bigguns. He and his family have guided out of Homosassa for many years. He remembers the time the truly large trout (25"+) were more plentiful. We never had the 30+ inchers here like the east coast. On a good note over the past 2 years we have had good numbers of overslot trout around and available often. The constant factor present when we have large declines in the population of a inshore fishery is the allowance of comercial netting. I eat trout a couple times a week but I try to also eat reef fish once a week as well but I do go to the freezer for the reef fish. The botton line is let the overslot fish go and kill the 17"ers they are abundant and excellent table fare.

I agree 100%, although with my poor skill fishing, and the lack of time I get to spend fishing I feel I can be a little greedier because I know I only hit the water 2 or 3 times a month- so my impact is very low. I'll judge keepers based on how my day is going- if the bite is slow and the first fish I reel in 1/2 way through the day is 25", I'll keep it for dinner--- but if the bite is on and I've bagged a one or two 17"-20" trout already, that's probably all I'll take...

Take my last trip for instance, we caught trout all day, but my wife and I kept the first 2 in the boat, not knowing how the rest of the day would go--- which happened to be both just over 20". The rest of the day we caught plenty of trout, and had a couple over 20"; we didn't even bother measuring- just tossed em back because we had our dinner.

I personally don't mind someone keeping a single trout over-slot, especially when it's completely within their legal rights to do so; I think it would be a real issue if he was the kind of guy that tossed back every 16" trout and ONLY kept a 24"+ trout every trip- which clearly he isn't...

BTW; Another great report and impressive catches!
    Last edited by tekmunki; 03-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

Nonsense nonsense nonsense anyone who fishes and has a lick of sense knows that a 15 inch trout is a breeder fish just as much as a 25 inch trout. Every 15,16, and 17 inch trout you keep will be full of eggs during spawning season just like a fish over 20 inchs. If you are really concerned with catching bigger fish #1 STOP KEEPING ALL THE 15 INCHERS!!!! let the small fish reproduce and keep all the big fish.#2 do something different because they are all over out there! That 25 inch trout has probably bread at least a dozen times! KEEP the dang fish and fry him up for God's sake. Stupid comments like this on a public forum is why we can only keep one redfish, one trout over 20 and NO grouper and snapper even though they are everywhere. The same yahoo Yankees that are crying let your keepers go are the same ones that are crying when the fishing regulation are over bearing when the government shuts down the fishing and says you can't keep grouper, snapper, trout or whatever else they decide to tell us we can't keep. This is why the forum is dwindling down to nothing. You can't jump on someone every time they keep a 25 inch trout that's absolutely ridicules. Jump on someone when they break the law not for keeping his one dog gone fish he is allowed to keep over 20 inches. I used to post on here when I had my other user name before the forum got all switched around and this is one reason I don't post anymore. Telling someone to throw a 25 inch trout back because it's a breeder is nonsense. You throw your keepers back and let everyone else keep theirs. Nice fish Jim and good job! please keep posting I love seeing good reports and quality fish. By the way too bad you couldn't have kept a few of those endangered snook.

Great mess of fishing Jimmy....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways.

Dunedin for the 1st 18 yrs & St. Augustine, ever since!
    We got a ton of snook in the river one afternoon. The snook came in at all different sizes anywhere from a foot long to almost 40 inches. we mainly fished with the D.O.A. terror eyzs for the snook.
    Is this Crystal River you're referring to? Just wondering thanks, and great catches!

Menomonee Falls, WI. and Inverness, FL (Hopefully full-time soon)
    Taking one fish over the slot should not be questioned. I know I don't get to fish this area as much as most of you, but it sure seems to have a healthy and growing trout fishery. The slot seems to be right on. I've fished in a area that for years never used a slot limit and it killed the fishing. A limit for Walleyes would be 5 and they had to be at least 15" in length. What would end up happening was all the larger fish would be targeted and harvested. The lakes soon became loaded with under size walleyes with very few keepers. The gene pool became very weak and the lakes stopped producing keepers. After sometime a slot size was put in place that you could only harvest walleye under 14' and keep only one fish over 21". It took sometime but the lakes started to produce more and more over slot keepers and are now sustaining a healthy fishery. I'm not sure how long the Trout slot limit has been in place(in the big bend area) but it seems to be working. Snookspanker I understand what you are saying and if the fishery was struggling I would agree 100%. I'm not sure the reason for the limited amount of large gator sized trout is due only to being over harvested. I wonder if the forage they feed on is the same as it is the areas that are producing larger trout with faster growth rates. As a former Musky fishing I'm all for letting the big ones go(heck we let all of them go), but for a fishery like we have with trout in this area, keeping one large one EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE should not make a difference. Just my two cents. Guys tight lines and hopefully I'll be joining you full-time soon.
    Tight lines!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast