Fishing for Pompano off the Beach

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fishing for Pompano off the Beach

Hi All,

I am a beginner trying to fish for pompano off the beach as I've heard they have been biting. Wanted to ask some of the more experienced posters for advise.

1. What will be the Equipment necessary?
    2. What is the best technique?

Any help appreciated. Thanks Gentlemen and ladies.

What part of the state are you in?
    Are you even in Florida?
    Pompano show up at different seasons in different parts of the state.
    You'll get better answers if we know where you are intending to fish.

they can be caught on a jig.. ( docs goofy jigs is what I like with a pink and silver extra fly hook..) you can tip a jig also with clams, sand fleas or shrimp. cast out by pilings, rocks hit the bottom jig it up and let it fall.. catch a fish! or you can surf cast with a double hook rig using sand fleas, clams or shrimp.. use a triangle weight so it sticks in the sand some.. small 2/0 hooks work the best for me from boyton beach to sebastian inlet.. you can get a good guide to take you in the indian river this time of year also. good luck .. I like light tackle stuff and they eat great.

Thanks for the fb. I am in South Florida near Jupiter. Any general idea what the investment in gear would be?

If you are in Jupiter, go to the Juno Pier. Go just before sun up. There will be a lot of people fishing for them. The guy you pay your pier admission to should help you. Go to the local tackle shop, they will show you the rigs,,,and sell them to you.
    Don't bother the commercial guys, the guys with 4 very large rods, they are working. But keep back and watch. You will learn.
    Good luck.

I live just south of the pier so was hoping I could just go out on the beach. Do you think the chances of catching will be less because I cast out from the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by hawksbill View Post
    I live just south of the pier so was hoping I could just go out on the beach. Do you think the chances of catching will be less because I cast out from the beach?
    To be sussuccsful from the beach you'll need some rods capable of chunking some big 4 oz sinkers to get out far enough. And then they move around so the bite would never be consistent at any one spot.

So if you only have smaller stuff then yes the pier would be better.

Many times the pier will have other fishes too that you simply couldn't get off the beach.

Your best bet is to see Todd at Juno Bait and Tackle on the east side of US1 just north of PGA.

Yah but I want Pompano, and people have been catching them off the beach. I don't like the peer. Does todd rent (so I can try out the different gear and see what works)?

Thanks

If you are planning to wade in the surf and use light tackle, you'll want a spinning outfit that will cast 1/2-oz jig a long way. A 4000 size reel with 10# mono on a 7'6" medium weight rod should do it very well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast