cobia near the shore

Florida Sportsman

cobia near the shore

when you guys fish for cobia near a shoreline, at what time do you do so? do you need to wait til the sun is up a bit so that you can sight them? appreciate your suggestions. thanks
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate

I don't think there are many people who attempt to fish for cobia along a shoreline in Dade County, at least not real close, but they can be found from Key Biscayne to the Ragged Keys from 6 to 25 feet following rays from Dec to March. They can be going in any direction as the rays dictate the course they will be traveling. On very calm sunny days some charter boats will search for them over sandy bottom in this area. It helps immensely to have a tuna tower or flying bridge to see the rays etc. Since my two boats lack towers, I have only stumbled on them a couple of times. Once my jon boat was swarmed by at least 40 cobia following a single huge ray in just 12 feet of water. I managed to get a double header of two cobes at 20 and 40 lbs while fishing solo. I have always been tempted to just try and chum some rays/cobia to the boat in this same area, but that probably would be a waste of time, however the largest cobia I have ever laid eyes on came up to a chum bag in 22 feet of water offshore of Key Biscayne, and no one was ready for it. This fish was easily in the 90 to 100 lb range.
    Last edited by The Cat's Eye; 03-21-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Last year I stumbled upon a ray in Hawks channel a little north of bug. It was covered in cobes, and I caught a 44lb fish. I had the same idea to try chumming up the rays but never put in the time. My friend just got a trawler with a high bridge. We will be looking for them next winter.

Does anybody ever troll the shallow areas for them? For those of us who's boats are "height challenged", it's almost impossible to spot them unles you are right on them....

If you do troll, what do you use? Eels? Other?

I'm up here in north Broward where we have our three lines of reef.... anyone work those areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
    Does anybody ever troll the shallow areas for them? For those of us who's boats are "height challenged", it's almost impossible to spot them unles you are right on them....

If you do troll, what do you use? Eels? Other?

I'm up here in north Broward where we have our three lines of reef.... anyone work those areas?
    hey gary, stop hijacking my thread. now, get back to the hammock, the screens and the new bathroom, all of which look great by the way. good work there.
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate