Jigging Destin

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Jigging Destin

Jigging Destin

Took the shake and bake out for a wet and wild shakedown run on Saturday and had a kick butt time jigging. Not on piece of bait on the boat, all lead and we stayed bowed up with mostly legal jacks all day. It was a blast and thanks to Courtenay and Jamie we did great. Jamie's first time jigging and she was able to jig up three good jacks from start to finish. Made her day to say the least. Kept three Jacks from 33" to 38" and caught a boat load more, almost every drop was a hook up all day. managed a few Almacos as well. I am also glad the weather cooperated with us too, it made for smooth sailing all day. Good to be back on the water and after the big boys again. Until next time the Jiggin Junkie.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Ahhh... no pictures?

My last trip offshore (sadly enough back in Sept) and we couldn't stay away from the jacks. They are crazy thick out there, or at least the area of bottom we were fishing out of PC. We got out at midnight in hopes of some black snapper. We boated about a dozen, but most of them got gobbled by night time AJs... pretty nice sized ones, too. 30-45lb fish. We managed to boat three of them on 15# black snapper gear, pretty fun stuff. After we fished that spot we made about a 3 mile run to try for some nicer sized gags and it was even worse there. We couldn't soak a big bait (live or even DEAD) long enough for a grouper before a jack ate it. Ended up fishing tiny chofers on the bottom and caught maybe 10 scamp, and three or four gags up to about 20#.

Personally, I like amberjack. They are often (if not usually) the biggest fish of the day, and I like eating a well prepared fresh piece off the grill. Alouth the occasional worm-factor in the flesh halfway through a meal is somewhat unpleasant.

Good job on them! Next time bring a camera! ;-)
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandler80 View Post
    Ahhh... no pictures?

My last trip offshore (sadly enough back in Sept) and we couldn't stay away from the jacks. They are crazy thick out there, or at least the area of bottom we were fishing out of PC. We got out at midnight in hopes of some black snapper. We boated about a dozen, but most of them got gobbled by night time AJs... pretty nice sized ones, too. 30-45lb fish. We managed to boat three of them on 15# black snapper gear, pretty fun stuff. After we fished that spot we made about a 3 mile run to try for some nicer sized gags and it was even worse there. We couldn't soak a big bait (live or even DEAD) long enough for a grouper before a jack ate it. Ended up fishing tiny chofers on the bottom and caught maybe 10 scamp, and three or four gags up to about 20#.

Personally, I like amberjack. They are often (if not usually) the biggest fish of the day, and I like eating a well prepared fresh piece off the grill. Alouth the occasional worm-factor in the flesh halfway through a meal is somewhat unpleasant.

Good job on them! Next time bring a camera! ;-)
    To make a long story short my wife had our three grandboys at the park and left our camera when she came home. So no camera at this time. Sorry.
    AKA Jiggin Junkie

II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.