3/18/12 offshore S.I.

Florida Sportsman

3/18/12 offshore S.I.

Broke S.I. at 6:45a.m. Ran straight east of the inlet to 90ft. Dropped line in and trolled east. It was a little choppy First thing in the a.m. but got better by noon. Hit 135 ft and heard the 2 boats in front of us say they had to back down on a big wahoo. In order to gain line back. Not more than 2 minutes later. The downrigger with red and black islander goes stripping 100 yards of line off of it quick. Then the fish turns and runs to the boat. I managed to keep the line tight. Then he makes another 50 yard run. Then the line bounced and went slack. He threw the double hook. Well we trolled the area with no luck so started back east. Went to 180 and started following an east and west broken up weedline. The outrigger goes off. Its a 12lb dolphin. Reel him up next to the boat and he has 2 followers. Grab the spin rod and throw on a dead finger mullet. He grabs it. Now we have 2 12lbers on and the naked bally on the shoot gun line goes off. Another dolphin jumping 150 yards back but he comes off. So we boat the first dolphin. The second one gets to live again. While gaffing the dolphin. The gaff hit the fish and he gets a burst of energy. Leaps off the gaff and my line gets wraped around the gaff has the fish hits the water. Snap. Oh well you cant get them all. Start back trolling east to 250 with no luck so we start trolling back to 130ft. We pick up 2 more dolphin in 135 ft. When we hit 90 ft the down rigger pops. So i grab the rod. Thinking there is weeds on it and it turns out to be a 5 to 6 lb spanish mackeral. Biggest spanish i've seen in a while. Pulled line in and ran in looking for cobia with no luck. Hope this report helps.

Good report, thanks!

nice report man.