Better fisherman than I am a turkey hunter... PCB - 3/18/12, Sheepies and a suprise - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Great story, and man that fish looks GOOD on the grill. Cobia is my favorite, though I've never had fresh tuna other than at a sushi restaraunt. Congrats

BTW, what kind of bait are the spanish used for? You mentioned brining them. Do you troll with them for big pelagics?

AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by KayakMacGyver View Post
    BTW, what kind of bait are the spanish used for? You mentioned brining them. Do you troll with them for big pelagics?
    I usually freeze them whole for snapper and grouper bait... but apparently some people to rig them like a swimming mullet for trolling... They are probably awesome as a trolling bait for wahoo, big dolphin or tuna... Marlin too I would think!

Quote Originally Posted by KayakMacGyver View Post
    Well, I forgot to get salt Sunday morning, so there was no brining... we just threw them in the big cooler with the other fish.

I have caught wahoo on the troll with them, big kings and one time had a billfish (most likely a blue) peel off about 100 yards of line only to have the single strand wire break (was fishing a king tourney). Reason I say it was likely a blue marlin is because I have heard stories of blues burrying their bill / mouth in the bottom after being hooked in shallow water. We were in about 85ft of green water, but the line peeled off like nobody's business, then it went dead, like we had the bottom hooked up. Then it just let go. We reeeled it in and the last two trebble hooks in the spanish were gone... the wire the connected those two to the live bait hook up front was cork screwed, the spanish was still whole but chaffed up, and in the mount of the spanish was sand, gravel and some type of plant stuff from the bottom. You tell me.

All that being said 9/10 I end up using them for bottom fishing.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12