Looking for a new bottom reel

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sebastian, Kissimmee, Saint Cloud, Louisiana, All Over

Looking for a new bottom reel

I currently use a Penn Torque 300 and a Pro Gear for bottom fishing. Looking to get another reel. What do yall use and recommend? Anyone use a Diawa Saltist Black Gold 40?

Whats up Ben?
    Go get yourself an accurate. Expensive but well worth it for heavy braid.

For bottom fishing in the Tortugas, I use Accurates, if you don't want to shell out that kind of money, I would reccomend the Daiwa Saltist, it is a lot of reel for the money.

Sebastian, Kissimmee, Saint Cloud, Louisiana, All Over
    Quote Originally Posted by a-salt-weapon View Post
    Whats up Ben?
    Go get yourself an accurate. Expensive but well worth it for heavy braid.
    Garrett,

Just got back from the Bahamas again and ready to setup another bottom rig. It was funny watching my cowboy friend almost get pulled in by a big AJ. I have a Star Delux broomstick just sitting around and it needs a mate. What model Accurate would be good? One of the captains did not like some of the Accurates for trolling. I'm sure it wouldn't be the same model.

Take a look at Avets. I've got an SX and an LX and love em! Small and light but they've got a heck of a lot of power for their size!

Good luck,
    Alex

Avet LX, I have three of them and would not buy another lever drag. Holds about 650 yds of 65 braid. Avet's costomer service is second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by 001 View Post
    I currently use a Penn Torque 300 and a Pro Gear for bottom fishing. Looking to get another reel. What do yall use and recommend? Anyone use a Diawa Saltist Black Gold 40?
    I have and have liked both the Accurate's and the Saltiga Star drag reels. I use them in the Bahamas and the Tortuga's since their debute. I like both of these BUT if I were to buy a new reel it would be the Okuma Makaira. You really owe it to yourself to look at this reel. It carries a 5 year warrantee which is unheard of in the industry. Go online a view the tutorials at alantani.com or the reviews on bloodydecks.com. You will not be able to appreciate it's construction until you hold one in your hands. Crook and Crook in Miami has them. Really go and take a look before you fork over the $$$ on any reel.

Juan

BUT if I were to buy a new reel it would be the Okuma Makaira. You really owe it to yourself to look at this reel. It carries a 5 year warrantee which is unheard of in the industry. Go online a view the tutorials at alantani.com or the reviews on bloodydecks.com. You will not be able to appreciate it's construction until you hold one in your hands. Crook and Crook in Miami has them. Really go and take a look before you fork over the $$$ on any reel.

Juan[/QUOTE]

X2 And the double dogs are much more reliable than the anti-reverse bearing found in the Accurate "B" series.

If these reels catch on here on the East Coast like their are catching on out on the West Coast, the other manufacturers will have to step it up. If anyone goes online and looks on the forums like bloodydecks.com or 360tuna.com you will see how many people are selling the Accurates and Daiwa's or just not buying them any more to switch to the Makaira. I wasn't convinced until I held one in my hand. They really are a sweet reel.

Juan

penn baja special if money is tight.shimano torsa, accurate,alutecnos gorilla....Are you using braid or mono?what size fish?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast